Bike Lift Trauma!!

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Pegscraper, Dec 19, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    If you look at the sellers address at the bottom of the page it gives Ashton-under-Lyne, Greater Manchester. So far no response from the seller. I'll maybe send them another message, then see if Ebay can do anything.
    It'll probabbly cost me £15-20 to return it so have to bear that in mind

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK

Wonder if he doesn’t keep any stock and just buys from Warrington when he gets an order?
    Ken.

3. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Could be just a re-seller or middle man maybe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I have a small 2 ton bottle jack sat doing nothing so, as an imterim measure I'm using that. In fact, with a bit of welding and alteration I could probably make this a permanent fix if I'm left stuck with it. It doesn't retract full down as with the screw mech but it's more than low enough to get under the bike..... Jack.JPG

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  5. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    I have a hydraulic ramp which is good but a friend of mine bought a old hospital bed and converted it into a bike ramp, it is superb and the quality of the thing is better than anything else I have seen.
    Perhaps this would be a better option if you have the space.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    The one thing I do like about this type of lift is the lifting platform is quite large adding to the stability, especially with the aluminium sump guard on the scrambler. The bike's been sat on the jack for a couple of days now but using straps on the engine bars would be easy insurance:)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I could probably just squeeze a lifting ramp into the garage but it would be awkward. Hospital beds are built like the Forth Bridge!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Oldfart

Oldfart Senior Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Staffs Moorlands
    Thanks for the heads up on these guys as I was going to get one in the new year. Instead I’ll probably get one of these, considerably more expensive sadly but hopefully safer. (Sealey MC 4500) I’ll need this type as my Beeza has pipes that come down below the frame rails.

upload_2020-12-21_15-48-28.jpeg
    Oldfart

• Like Like x 2
  9. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
  10. Oldfart

Oldfart Senior Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Staffs Moorlands
    That’s a lot cheaper than the Sealey model. Might have a think about that version and come up with a way to modify the lifting arms so they clear the pipes.

Cheers

Oldfart

11. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Yes it is cheaper than the Sealey and, yes, the real downside is that it can't - in it's original state - be used on anything with exhaust pipes that are lower than any lower frame rail. Unless you take the pipes of first, of course! And that WOULD be a right, royal PITA. I've been thinking of trying to fabricate some sort of "cradle" that would go over the front foot pegs. Or summat.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Oldfart

Oldfart Senior Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Staffs Moorlands
    Or secure and fit some packing pieces to the two arms with something suitable and just long enough to fit inside the pipes and on the frame rails?

Oldfart

• Like Like x 1
  13. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    I have tried the small scissor type lifts and to be honest, l don't like them,they simply do not have the stability of a full length ramp.
    I fitted a center stand to my speed triple and it goes up on the ramp a treat, making maintenance and repairs easy.
    I do realise that space constraints are an issue for many owners.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I contemplated a ramp/lift when looking for maintenance options for the ZZR but went for the ABBA Skylift instead which is very versatile. Not cheap but worth it I would say.
    I haven't had a problem with the stability of the scissor lift TBH, until it failed that is!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Oldfart

Oldfart Senior Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Staffs Moorlands
    Bet they don’t make an adapter kit for a 1965 BSA 500!

Oldfart

• Funny Funny x 4
  16. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    So, a dead end on a refund or replacement. These lifts seem to sell very well so maybe this was just a one off although, as already posted, Dilli had one fail. No response from seller and the phone number given is unobtainable. Ebay cannot help as the transaction over 30 days old and Paypal can't as it's over 180 days old. The seller has very good feedback so the lack of response is disappointing. Maybe they're just very busy, dunno? Also, the cheapest return postage is £27 so I'll just press on with the bottle jack mod. I think 2 ton should be enough! :grinning:

• Like Like x 2
  17. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Yes, the Skylift is pricey! I chewed on it for quite a while after looking at other maintenance stands but none offer the same versatility of getting both wheels off the floor with the ability to wheel the whole thing round the garage. Adaptors for different bikes are £25. Second time I used it I left an adaptor stuck in the swingarm pivot and lost it on a ride. I phone them and they sent me a pair FOC so extra points for that.

• Like Like x 2