Bike Jeans And Knee Armour - It Won't Stay In Place

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Flashp, Sep 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    I'm having a bit of a problem finding jeans that have knee armour that remains in the right place.

I just bought a great pair of jeans that fit really well, probably better than some of my regular jeans. Problem is the knee armour won't stay in place. When on the bike it wants rise up leaving the knee unprotected but immediately drops into place when the leg is straightened.

It occurs to me that this may be the case because the material will not stay in the same place when the leg is bent.

What's other peoples experience with jeans and knee armour?
    I'm thinking that independent armour worn around the leg under the jeans but not part of or attached to the jeans might be the best way to ensure it stays in place.

2. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    Hi mate, I've got some knox jeans with small zips in the side of each knee, the armour slips in there, they stay in place as its part of the jeans but not as a separate pocket of you follow. When standing the armour sits just below my knee caps so when sitting its in the right spot.

Id suggest getting out the old needle and tread (kevlar) and sew the pockets so they don't rise up when you sit.

I think secondary armour under jeans is a bit of a faff specially if going to wear the jeans all day not riding.

3. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    The Triumph Hero jeans have small velcro squares to hold the armour in place but you can adjust where in the pocket to put it:cool::cool:
    As Moe says the armour sits just below the knee when walking around (although you don't feel it) but is just right when on the bike :):)

4. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    I have the same issue with all knee armour.. Never in the right place. Its either really low when stood, or too high when riding. I've not yet found a pair of trollies that are right for me yet. Its usually uncomfortable.

5. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    +1 for the Knox jeans. First jeans I've had where the armour stays in position. Drops slightly when walking about but not enough to be a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  6. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I’ve always had problems finding jeans to fit me as I’ve got a 36” inseam but I bought some Red Route Kevlar jeans from J&S which fit great.
    The armour sits in little pockets in the knees and hips and is comfy enough to be unnoticed when riding or walking.
    They’re more of a cargo pant style rather than fitted jean which helps.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Road Skin Paranoid, fully lined and AAA rated. Armour does drop slightly when standing, but not much at all. These are thick jeans and take a little bit of wearing in, but they are comfortable, and great now the colder weather is starting to arrive.

https://www.roadskin.co.uk/shop/paranoid-jean-2019/

8. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    #9 Bad Billy, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    Hi Mate,
    I use the knox knee & elbow protectors that strap to you for racing, these don't move in the event of a crash, a bit of a faff to put on though.

https://www.planet-knox.com/product/defender-long-knee-shin-guards/

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Time was when any gent would hoist his trouser (tryser!) legs before sitting to prevent putting baggy knees in the tweed. Denims broke the habit!
    Obviously your skin stretches plenty but jeans minimally. Since the armour kneeds (sic) to be over your bent knee you just have to accept a bit of slippage when you stand up. My Hood jeans use a Velcro strip which allows a pretty good compromise between riding and walking.
    Then again .......

D1348C49-CEDC-40C2-9B20-A867581FC987.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. SpeedTwin1200

SpeedTwin1200 Senior Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    I visited Motolegends near Guildford recently to try the Rokkertech jeans. They know about fit and sizing over there and get you so sit on a bike to check the leg length with your boot but mainly to ensure the armour sits in the right place while on the bike. Significantly though, they do say to expect and accept that the armour will then drop away from your knee while off the bike.

They have a pragmatic view of safety, so accept that if you're going to wear jeans, you will not be on a track trying to get your knee down.

There are jeans available with an external pocket so you can in theory pull out the knee armour when off the bike. I quite like the idea of these....
    https://www.motolegends.com/base-layers/trousers/bowtex-leggings-ylw.html -they might be a bit warm with jeans over the top in summer but might keep the knee armour in place.

11. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Since I tested my Red Route jeans on Friday I am possibly in a good position to comment on this issue.
    My knee armour was in position when seated on bike but below when off it.
    After my spill my knees are untouched and the hip armour on left side did its job as I my left hip was/is only sore but jeans are showing some major scuffs.

The D30 armour seems to be better than the old school yellow stuff I had in place when I had my last off, after which my knee was sore for weeks.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I bought my Spidi J- Tracker jeans from Motolegends. They were more comfortable than the Rokkertechs and have the external zipped pocket for the knee armour, which not only means it stays in place, but you can remove it if you're going to walk around off the bike for a longer time. Like the Rokkertechs, these jeans are single layer - there is no inner kevlar lining, its woven into the denim itself, so they wear just like standard jeans.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Good to hear the Red Route jeans are up to the job. :grinning:
    Hope you’re feeling better soon mate :cool:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    Coincidentally it's the thinner jean of theirs that I have, Easy Riders with a regular leg length. Really good fit knee armour aside. I have two Forcefield options arriving from Sportsbike Shop tomorrow. I'm keen to keep the jeans if I can find an alternative arrangement that works.

• Like Like x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  15. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    Thanks all for your replies ;)

• Like Like x 2
  16. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Interesting, I bought the Bull-it purely because of the rating and they did well sliding behind a car in a test someone did due to the full lining. They are heavy and thick though. The armour also seems to move around a bit and I am not sure if that is good because it allows it to stay in the right place or not good because it moves.

17. String

String Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Sunderland
    D3O have a product called Ghost Armour. It’s very thin and while it still drops down a bit when standing up, it’s not really noticeable either by looking at it, or by feel when walking around.
    I suppose that depending on the design of your jeans, you might be able to upgrade your existing armour to some of this.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    The armour in any item of clothing shouldn't really move around. Usually in bike trousers there is hip and knee protection. Obviously if you hit the ground you want the armour to stay where it's supposed to be and cover those vulnerable areas, not move and leave knees exposed.
    My Dianese leather jacket (that I use on my RVF&CBR) has shoulder, elbow and forearm armour that doesn't move at all. Likewise the knee and hip protection in my leather trousers. I 'tested' the kit up on the Cat'n'Fiddle' road a couple of years ago. That armour saved my left knee, elbow and shoulder, when I hit the road at 45mph. I dread to think what state I'd have been in if the armour had moved. Incidentally I discovered the double stitching you hear about, that's used on quality leather jackets, greatly reduces the chance of seams coming apart.
    Having said all of that, jeans are a looser fit than leathers, so the armour is always going to move a bit if it contacts the ground.

19. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    I think I need to get a new pair of jeans or get my kneecaps moved! I actually bought some Ghost armour and although it didn't work I really liked it so decided to keep it for use in some jeans that will fit align it correctly. Motolegends have a service where they will adjust the armour positions to suit when you purchase from them. I shall probably go over there one Friday afternoon and seen what they can do.

• Like Like x 2