Bike insurance! They're having a laugh!

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by MickEng, Nov 12, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Just received my insurance renewal from Bennetts this morning.
    In 2015/16 I paid £173 including breakdown recovery
    Renewal quote for 2016/17 with no claims or convictions is £559
    Telephoned to discuss they had got a decimal point in the wrong place reduced it to £510
    Went on Bennetts website and it came up at £510
    Went on Go-compare and it came up at £200 with Lexham

Guess who will never be using Bennetts again after posting on this forum only a few months ago what a great service they offered.

Mandatory requirement by law, totally unregulated industry with a licence to fleece hard working law abiding U.K. Citizens

• Like Like x 1
  2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Those muffs are going to your head Jez ;);):D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

3. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    All tax insurance increased recently to 10% so that will explain some of the increase, but Bennetts are having a Giraffe
    Not looking forward to this exercise in December when mine is up for renewal

4. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    If I fitted the muffs I could get away with only insuring to ride at night time, that should reduce it.
    Like hell I would be seen out on it during daylight with them F****ers on.

• Like Like x 4
  5. OnlySon

OnlySon Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Scotland. UK

Muffs go to most mens heads o_O

• Like Like x 3
  6. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I was hoping someone would get the innuendo....................................:rolleyes:

7. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    #7 Tiglet, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    On the subject of insurance tax increase, don't be fooled by insurance companies telling you that your renewal increase is due to a rise in the Insurance Premium Tax (IPT). The IPT has increased by 0.5% on the 1st October 2016.
    On the 1st November 2015 the IPT increased to 9.5% and as of the 1st October 2016 it's now 10%, an increase of 0.5%.

So Mick if your renewal date is after the 1st November then this year your IPT has only increased by 0.5%, insurance companies want us to think that it's gone by 10% :mad:

Dave.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Watty2016

Watty2016 Active Member

Aug 27, 2016
    Dorridge
    Having worked in the insurance industry in my younger days for 15 years, I can tell you never ever renew any insurance policy without shopping around and calling your current insurer, as they have no loyalty to you and therefore you should never ever be loyal to an insurer. If they think you will just renew they will quote what they think they can get away with, so please always shop around and tell them your best price and watch your renewal price drop!!!

• Like Like x 9
  9. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Hi Watty,
    Thanks for the confirmation that loyalty doesn't pay.
    I have shopped around for as long as I can remember, changing companies virtually every time.
    If it wasn't a legal requirement I wouldn't have any insurance, it's a F****ing rip off

• Like Like x 2
  10. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    something really should be done about it, as at the moment it's legalized robbery,utility companies are just as bad If you don't shop around or sign up a new deal once the contract ends they put you on their "standard" rate which basically means you pay way over the odds.it's just a hassle and makes my blood boil :mad::mad:

• Like Like x 2
  11. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Carole Nash is definitely going to lose my business this time after shafting me on a midterm change :mad:

12. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Just got another revised quote typed on several sheets of paper from Bennetts.
    Now £710, I can't believe the stupidity of the company.
    This is the fourth quotation for renewal from them in 2 weeks.
    £559, > £510 > £184 > £710
    Can you imagine having to make a claim with them!
    £173 last year with no convictions or claims.
    Asda have quoted £153 with no hassle whatsoever.

13. Tricolore

Tricolore Active Member

Jun 24, 2016
    Midlands
    I had 2 months to go on my last policy when I changed my bike, they wanted £60 for an admin fee to change. A brand new policy was only a £100. I told them not to be stupid but they stuck to their fee. Back to Carole Nash now as they were one of the cheapest on Go Compare but were the most expensive, at renewal the year before

It's a shame Aviva don't do bike insurance, we've got 3 cars with them and they're brilliant.

14. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I have insurance renewal due begining of Dec.
    Carol Nash increased premium by about £50 for renewal.
    Quick search on GoCOmpare and I can get a renewal for £40 cheaper than last year.
    As always, will shop around other insurers first, then go back to Carol Nash, tell them the cheapest and they usually match it. Even if they are £10 more than cheapest it is worth staying to save on paperwork.

I usually go for additionas:
    Leather and helmet cover £40 with Carol Nash - £25 elsewhere
    Recovery - up to £50 & free with Carol Nash
    Legal cover - always necessary - cant remember charges

15. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    recently had my renewal through form C.N. at £197, a bit cheaper than last year and I was pretty pleased with that. I looked on gocompare and they had insurance for 84 quid if i recall correctly but with the add ons it was about the same. Why is gocompare always a little dearer for me than moneysupermarket????, dont know why I tried there first tbh.
    I had been thinking of buying a speed triple 955i and having a multibike policy,C.N. wanted another 100 quid to add on to my policy so I looked at Bennetts,they did a multibike for only a touch more than the £197 that C.N. wanted for just one bike. However I missed out yet again (3rd time) on a nice Speedie on ebay and have now decided to have just the one bike,my old faithful Sprint, so I did the quote online and with the add ons of legal, breakdown cover with RAC,helmet and leathers cover it came to £124, saving me £70 odd. Ok I do not have rider cover but I don't ride other peoples' bikes anyway so it was no use to me. C.N wanted to quote me on my car insurance till I told them they were £600 more expensive then my current insurer last year.

16. John Will

John Will Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Bury St Edmunds.
    They do, mine is through Bennett.

17. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    They are" fishing for idiots " ( it should be against the law) just like bogus workmen charging 80 thousand to replace your gutters or tar your drive.

18. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I'm with Carol Nash n due for renewal next week. Let's see how badly they are going to shaft me o_O

I'm going to shop around, get the best price possible then approach CN. I'll keep you guys posted ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Try Asda, they guarantee to beat any quote.

• Like Like x 1
  20. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    de de de de , thats asda price (pats his bum) lol
    hey they sell beer as well so when they shaft you at least you can get pissed

Like I said before Carole Nash said they guaranteed to beat my car premium last year and they did, they were almost 600 quid dearer. Not so sure they meant it that way tho

• Like Like x 2