Bike Hunt...

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by Al Quarterman, Aug 2, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Al Quarterman

Al Quarterman New Member

Aug 2, 2018
    Cheshire
    Hi all,

I'm on what is probably an impossible mission but I'm hoping to find a particular bike or at least its history. My dad rescued a triumph from a skip in the early 70s and attempted to restore it; he didn't get very far and had to sell it in 1982/3 because he decided to build our family home instead...the nutter.

Anyway, he's now bedridden with Parkinson's and I'm feeling like I need to undertake some sort of quest to finish what he started.

There are two pictures of the bike (attached) and I'm hoping someone might recognise it in its original state or at least be able to tell me what type, year, etc. I don't have engine number or anything else that might help to ID the bike.

I know it's probably an impossible mission but got to try right? One never knows....

Any help will be much appreciated.

Al

7-16-2010_060.JPG

7-16-2010_062.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I can’t help mate :confused:
    But hope you get some answers :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    It looks like the engine could be a 500cc jobby. Doesn't seem tall enough in the barrel for a 650 but too tall for a 350. Tried counting fins on the barrel but whilst there appeared to be enough for a 500, comparing your photos to various offerings on google, I wasn't entirely convinced and double vision kept rearing its ugly head!
    Good news is that I'm 99.9% sure the seat is from a late sixties BSA.
    Oh, and that front brake in standard form is crap, even if it seemed alright in my yoof!
    Mid sixties 5TA or T100 anybody?

4. BSATREV

BSATREV Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Birkenhead
    Hi, the engine looks like a 500. The centre stand has the extra lugs on the foot that were put on police spec T100P machines. Not all of these went to UK Police Forces. So this could have started life as a T100P and had civvy items fitted later. I hope this helps.

5. Al Quarterman

Al Quarterman New Member

Aug 2, 2018
    Cheshire
    Thanks for your time and the info, all good stuff!! Al

6. Al Quarterman

Al Quarterman New Member

Aug 2, 2018
    Cheshire
    Thanks for that Steve, I have noticed that there don’t appear to be any pix of a T100 with a seat like that...and I think my dad may have had a BSA in the 60s...or was at least fond of them. Thanks for taking your time to look at the photos Steve, much appreciated.

• Like Like x 2