1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Moss T

Moss T New Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Abu Dhabi
    So I went to see an orthopedic surgeon yesterday about my elbow. Thought I might have cartilage trouble, as my elbow gets super sore, particularly when I've been doing a lot of riding. Takes him 30 seconds to diagnose 'Golf Elbow', caused by an inflamed tendon in the elbow. Basically a Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI), which needs no surgery, just topical treatment with anti-inflammatories and maybe some physio.

So I got to thinking about it, and messing about to find out what action was causing the RSI, and realized that it was covering the front brake with two fingers when I ride, which I have done as a habit for 20 years or so. When I was riding the Greek Alps recently and constantly on and off the brakes into the endless bends (Yeeeeeeesssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!) the elbow got really sore, so it all makes sense. Living on Iboprufen for the last two weeks after having flipped an Enduro bike (Nooooooooooooo!!!!!) it went away. The anti-inflammatories cleared it up.

So. The question. Covering your brake and clutch with two fingers is fairly bog-standard practice. Is this 'biker's elbow' (as I have now dubbed it) a common thing to all riders who do this?

2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Welcome to my world mate :(
    I see that you’re 51yrs young :p
    Unfortunately Mother Nature can be a bit of a bitch and wear and tear on our joints is the price we pay for using them :(
    Hopefully you’ll learn how to deal with it and have many many more years riding adapting along the way :)

• Like Like x 7
  3. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    What have the brake and clutch levers done to you that you feel you need to show them two fingers? I've sworn at my visor a couple of times but never two fingered the bike.

• Funny Funny x 8
  4. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    If I'm in traffic or perceive some other potential hazard (e.g. cars waiting at junctions) I cover the front brake but most of the time I keep a firm grip on the throttle. Haven't had the elbow problem but do find my hands get stiff sometimes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2