Bike Cams

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Smurf, Mar 8, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Smurf

Smurf New Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Notts
    I'm thinking of getting a camera to record journeys both on bike and car, has anyone got any recommendations.

The GoPro series seem to be popular but which one? Are the dearer ones worth the extra bearing in mind I wont be making epic films.

Any thoughts?

2. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Hi Smurf,
    I'm in the same position, your right the gopro's seem to have the market nailed...
    The GP3 is smaller and lighter than the 2 or 1 and I have been told the silver edition (middle of the range out of white, silver or black) is the one to go for as it has the ideal FPS and wide angle lense which gives the best perspective of speed and motion.
    There are so many to choose from...
    The drift is supposed to be good too..
    One thing to consider is the discreetness of the unit also, as let's say if you were stopped by a friendly person for say riding a tad erratic... :eek: and the said friendly person spotted the camera, this could be used as evidence against you ...
    Hence a good bullet camera is worth considering.. Just saying hypothetically of course as we respectable Triumph types would only maybe ride slightly erratic on a private road or track.. Ahem :wink:
    I am no expert on this so I am also keen to hear other users views... :upyeah:

• Like Like x 3
  3. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    I get on well with my Go Pro hero 2 (motorsports). The images the camera produces are amazing, it comes with a waterproof case and several mounting options. Get a high capacity memory card and you will be able to record over an hour at 1080p or much more at lower quality. Battery life is good aqnd I use windows movie maker to edit the footage. You can set it to do stills but I let it film then pick out the best image from the film and use them as photos as the image quality is that good.

I already have one or two of my vids on this forum, lots of times I have used the suction mount to mount the camera around the bike and this vid shows some of the places you can mount.

I also hear good things about Drift HD cameras

• Like Like x 5
  4. Smurf

Smurf New Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Notts
    It would be handy to have a quick delete button for those kind of moments.

My workmate has a 2 but its for his car only but the quality is good too, I don't know anything about bullet cameras but I agree the more discreet the better.

5. Smurf

Smurf New Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Notts
    Yes Richard I have viewed some of your videos and been impressed with the quality, one of the reasons I am thinking GoPro is for the various mounting options available.

6. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    They are not very discreet though and when mounted on your helmet they tend to start forcing your head to one side if your doing 70 ish :eek:

Here is an image that I just did as a screen snatch from one bit of film from the Alps; I tend now to use it more for this than filming as editing the movies 483490_10151318134739610_1280488506_n.jpg together takes ages

483490_10151318134739610_1280488506_n.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    I have been looking at the Drift ghost..which has a remote control to start & stop it... Another one that is a cheap option is Muvi NPNG... Both are supposed to be quite good... The Gopro is the daddy though.. The drift has all the mounting options and a slimmer profile for fitting to the helmet. It also has a lcd screen...
    The Muvi has a clip to mount to your jacket and loads of options as well.... I quite like the LCD option which I'm not sure if Gopro do.
    Also the Drift has a longer battery life... Supposedly...
    I'm no expert myself but if your spending big money like the drift and Gopro require then it's got to be right....

• Like Like x 1
  8. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Gopro do a LCD back screen and also a remote.
    To my understanding, the GP3 has three variances, white, Silver and black.
    The black is the daddy and you can get the remote and LCD screen with it as a bundle.
    I've bought a few different types and now saving for the GP3 black.
    As you said on another thread Screwball "Buy Cheap Buy Twice"....

• Like Like x 1
  9. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Yes I have a backpack for my gopro it is an LCD screen that clips directly onto the back of the camera which allows playback of footage and helps set up of shots. It comes with an extra big water proof case.
    The only issue it does make the whole camera a bit bulky and I do not use it very often

10. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    I wouldn't call the Drift ghost cheap.... £348 for the motorbike bundle.. It is however I think between the Gopro & drift.....although I may go to the shop and try them out...
    YouTube is no help as you can always find a film showing how good a particular camera is....I've seen 2 or 3 showing the Muvi as better then the Gopro, Not that I beleive it though... Hence the wanting to try before I buy....

11. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    I also believe the black 3 is blue tooth or wifi link able to a smartphone for control and playback, but I would check this out...
    The black 3 package is about the same price that you mention for the drift mate

I wonder if Steve at CC can get any deals if a number of us are interested??? Steve??

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blue Flame

Blue Flame Member

Mar 5, 2013
    I purchased the Drift HD 720 the other day. Quality seems very good (although i have yet to try it out on the bike cos it is stuck in the hut shivering in the cold :frown:) and it has the same remote control referred to earlier but at £120 is a bit more affordable.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    BlueFlame would like to see some footage when you get the chance and a honest review...

14. Blue Flame

Blue Flame Member

Mar 5, 2013
    I will do but don't hold your breath. I woke up to another dump of snow this morning :frown:

• Like Like x 1
  15. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    I have a contour GPS. I got it mainly for trips abroad as it stores the information of where you've been and my memory isn't what it used to be. Actually, when I think about it it's always been crap. When you play the vid back using the contour software it shows you a map or satellite or hybrid of the route that you've filmed. The picture quality is fantastic but I'm a little disappointed with the sound (but I'm onto a fix for that, hopefully). Have a look - see what you think: Contour | Stories | FILE0015

16. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Looks good.. Yep bit of wind noise... Bit of tape over the mic should help...:upyeah:
    Dont show the cops though over going on a double white... Naughty naughty :tongue:

• Like Like x 1
  17. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    I photoshoped in the double whites to look like a rogue! :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  18. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    It worked you rebel... And over going..WTF was I writing.... I really need to read before I post...

• Like Like x 1
  19. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Lol fotoshop white lines...
    Nice footage, I think wind noise is an issue on most depending on set up and position I guess mate
    All the same, great footage

• Like Like x 1
  20. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    I have a separate microphone that I can plug into the go pro but you have to use a non waterproof case to enable you to plug the microphone cable in. You can then mount the camera in an exposed position and have the microphone near the exhaust or engine.

Or you can talk through the ride, but that's not me.

• Like Like x 1