Big Maintenance (for Me!)...

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by DanielB, Sep 4, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Evening all....I'll post this here but if better in a more general technical section please just say/move...

I have today started to tackle the large(ish) maintenance tasks of new air filter, plugs, fuel filter and throttle cable on my

2002 speed triple 955i (in blue)....

Part one...

Now...all this starts, apparently with the relatively easy "just remove the fuel tank" step...so, taking the issues in order but only one at time...(I haven't finished the job yet so this thread could take us to Christmas...)....

Firstly, the pesky fuel hoses...photo below. Yes, they certainly do easily clip on and off..but; unclipping the red one just made petrol pi## everywhere - it sealed from the tank, but the fuel hose just had petrol dribbling out...

Did I do something wrong?

I have now squeezed the pipe shut with clips.

The white one was even worse. I had to also clip the pipe but the tank nozzle wouldn't seal...

I thought everything was self sealing - so says the manual...?

I did try reconnect the hoses....and they leaked...(before I clipped them, whilst having a think)...is that why I need new o rings? (Which I have)...

So I ended up just undoing everything else so the tank was just held in by the fuel pipes.....then one last gasp to get them off before too much petrol went everywhere...the tank is now upside down on the floor...but one of the hose inlets would leak given the chance....they are white plastic.

So...end of part one...

Any suggestions, or I'm headed in the right direction...and the new seals will sort it!?

Screenshot_20190904_171602.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    The hose end fittings aren’t valved so will leak fuel from the fuel rail, and if you’ve only disconnected one the other will be draining the tank a bit too.
    The leak you’ve still got is likely to be the O ring as they’re easy to nick when connecting/disconnecting. I always have some spares just in case, though I’ve found that if you push the release tab in fully while pulling out the hose it helps.
    If your tank fittings are still plastic then I’d recommend you change them for the metal alternatives before they break and cause you more problems

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Thank you freck, I rememy our previous conversations about all this...now I actually see what's what I will get these fittings!

Do you know, is that "it" or are there other seals/gaskets etc that are needed for them, or simply "plug and play"....(as it were ):grinning:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Oooh...I have that! Perfect!!

Cheers all....

I am almost certain I'll be adding a Part 2 to this soon...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Part 2...

So, inside my air filter box there is some mosture - oil..(?)... The air filter certainly needed changing.

What's the moisture...
    Does it matter...

The spark plugs were quite dirty. One was oily round the base...

I have changed all the plugs.

Is the condition related to the clogged air filter?

I had a couple of stalls when engine was warm....revs when at idle would suddenly drop. Is that the filter too?

Again, thank you!

IMG_20190904_190327.jpg

IMG_20190904_190334.jpg

IMG_20190904_190920.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Airbox oil will have come from the crankcase breather on the l/h side at the back of the airbox.
    There’s a seal under the l/h case which can pass a bit of oil vapour as it wears. I’d clean it out, and maybe the hose then keep an eye on whether the amount in the airbox gets any worse.
    As for the plugs, it could be that it’s just crud and water. Clean it all up being careful not to let any drop into the cylinders, and again keep an eye out for any leaks.
    Stalling could be a number of things. Air leaks, throttle balance etc. Is your bike on the standard map?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Thanks freck...so, the crankcase breather is the smaller of the two large ones - the far left with the clip on this photo? This just goes to an open end hanging down...

Or the big one (on the right) that goes to the engine (on the nearside, opposite side tot he clutch)... I can see white gunk down in this one...

Mapped by Hughenden M40 last autumn....standard map I assume, as I didn't ask for anything, just a check...

In general a number of these rubber tubes are just open ended...it seems...

IMG_20190904_163434.jpg

IMG_20190904_163431.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    It’s the one on that goes to the engine, though on my Daytona it’s connected to the airbox on the nearside. :rolleyes: I don’t have the other hose on mine, I’m guessing that’s just a drain if it’s open ended.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Freck, thank you so much...

I'll have more questions I'm sure...

:D

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Just a curiousity this time...

What is this black fan shaped thing on the throttle body?

IMG_20190904_190352.jpg

12. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire

Thanks Duck! I will have a root around and see what these hoses are you speak of...interesting what you say it is...and my possible "stall when idling" issue..perhaps it needs replacing? How will I know!?

I am guessing it's gonna be "another" 20 quid!! (FFS :weary_face:)

- fortunately, I have a good dozen or so fuel seals...hopefully I'll get the technique right by about attempt 10...!

13. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Yeah, the rubber grommet is fine, still flexible, and hasn't deteriorated...the actual valve bit/housing costs £30! I am going to assume that that is OK...I think... o_O

...the stalling isn't an issue...just something I noticed once or literally twice...sitting in traffic - in the high heat of the summer - the revs just dropped then picked up...but on the very rare occasion the revs dropped enough and it stalled...

unless I can get a full training session on tune ECU I may well leave that to the garage...

14. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    If the IACV is faulty then you’d get an engine management light on as it self tests on ignition on.
    You’d likely get a high idle with air leaks in the hoses.
    There’s a possibility that the throttle body gasket is leaking too or it could just be a balance issue. Do you know if they’ve been balanced at anytime?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    I do not know about a balance...not on my watch (since November '18).

...had a look on Fowlers...throttle body gasket?

16. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I’m not sure what your VIN number is (you need to look in the section with the appropriate VIN) but it looks like you’ve got the transition tubes with an O ring rather than a gasket.

17. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    VIn ending 146064... not sure which drawing to be looking at on Fowlers :worried:

18. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
  19. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    The O ring is the same part number on both diagrams so you’ll be fine ;)

20. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    sorry everybody - this is getting very specific and no doubt less interesting..

freck, thank you...I was looking ta that drawing, but was still unsure of the part you speak of... is it #29?

I have 3 silver expandable bands on the base of each hole...is that what you mean?