Better Front Brake?

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by ian650, Feb 13, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ian650

ian650 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Telford
    IMG_20190211_153418458.jpg Is it worth it or just a ploy to part with your money?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bonne Phil

Bonne Phil Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Romford, East London
    If it improves the braking ability of the bike then it must be worth it. I fitted Harrison Billet brakes to a Harley and suddenly discovered what it felt like to be able to stop. I would be interested to know how much the Brembos are and your opinion on their ability.

Bonne Phil

• Like Like x 1
  3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Is that a Honda CBR 600 front brake caliper? Used to be a popular mod on the air-cooled Bonnys.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    Unless it's one of those latest conversions that come with a larger than stock disc to help decrease stopping distances then it's only a ploy to part with some of your money... ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Brakes don't need to have a larger disk to be improved upon.
    I put a set of a radial calipers on my Bandit 1200 with the same size disks and the braking was vastly improved ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    Indeed, preaching to the converted - I ran a six pot on my 865.
    Point I was badly making was that larger discs costs little more to produce than stock sizes and offer excellent value for money for the what they can offer in return if your going to start paying out to improve things

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Got a Honda 3 pot on my thruxton 900 and it’s a great improvement. There is a thread on here somewhere listing which hondas fit. That will be for the air cooled ones tho’

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ian650

ian650 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Telford
    It's actually the "Free Spirit"conversion with a 340mm diameter disc and Brembo 4 pot caliper. Brake effort at the moment is noticeably reduced but I will comment further once I have put a few miles in the clock and it's all "bedded in"

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Ian650
    Can't get much better than Brembo in my opinion.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

10. Mischa Vladivostok

Mischa Vladivostok Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Dublin, Ireland
    I've always wanted to do the CBR mod to my Bonnie, never got around to do it. But do check the state of your current caliper. A good refurbishment (thorough cleaning, new pistons and seals) can vastly improve the braking power of a stock caliper.

• Agree Agree x 1