Best Way To Wire A Voltmeter?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Hubaxe, Jul 8, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    Hi guys,
    I'm about to put a voltmeter on the Sprint ST dashboard.
    I was wondering how to wire that? It has to be after ignition, so I was thinking about putting that on the headlamp wire.
    Any better idea?

2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    How about the switched live/ output side of the kill switch?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I would put it on the ignition coil feed myself. If you put it on the kill switch and then shut the bike down with the ignition switch, it would still be on. I never use the kill switch except when I am working on the bike and want to make sure all curcuits are dead. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    Across the battery with a fuse. Accurate readings where it counts. No worries that it is "ON" all the time, as voltage metering has a very high resistance.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    Sure that's where I want to have the reading.
    The perfect setup would be to take the reading at the battery after the closest relay.

6. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Switched constant live that way you will get an average system reading and it will reflect the charge rate when the engine is running.

7. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    I'll apologise in advance that this is not a direct answer to your question, but, have you thought of an alternative like the products from here :-

http://www.sparkbright.co.uk/sparkbright-eclipse-battery-voltage-monitor.php

I've bought a couple of these for fitting to 2 (Gen.1) Street Triples - the charging system on these bikes is famously 'fragile'! They connect direct to the battery terminals, have very low power draw and can act like an alarm indicator by flashing when the ignition is off - though I notice the latter function is not promoted on the web site. They look very discreet, the lead lengths can be customised for your application and the guy that makes them is amazingly helpful.

Worth a thought?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    I've bought a discrete voltage reader. I'll take a picture of the place I found to install it.
    Reading all your advise, looks like I need to plug it directly on the battery.
    As I don't want it to work all the time I'll add a switch.
    Probably the best solution .
    The top would be to add a relay linked to an after ignition source.

9. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Couldn't you piggy back off the live terminal of any ignition switched relay .... fuel pump, perhaps? Save the cost of a relay.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    Yes sure i Could , but the voltage reading may be affected? I'll try and compare and let know about on a thread

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Kind of depends on what you want to achieve by fitting one as unlike an ammeter no matter where you fit it it will also show the system load and charge so it you turn on the light when the engine is running you will initially see a drop followed by a rise as the alternator/regulator try and keep up with the drain same goes for a rise in RPM as the system is self regulating.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    You're right. My objective is 1) at ignition, read the battery voltage 2) as the engine runs, make sure the aternator/regulator works. So maybe taking the + - on the headlamp could be sufficient. I'll do some test

• Like Like x 1
  13. trudd

trudd Member

Oct 13, 2014
    I've got a switched relay unit on mine with 3 outputs. I use 1 for a sparkbright eclipse, 1 for a usb plug in the glovebox and 1 for my sat nav.

I use the front brake light switch as the switched live to the relay.

It works a treat and the sparkbright gave me a warning that the charging system wasn't working properly which turn out to the stator plug starting to melt.

14. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    Where do your sparbright eclipse takes the voltage read? on the battery, the relay just being there to close the circuit as the ignition is on?

15. trudd

trudd Member

Oct 13, 2014
    It takes it from the relay unit. The unit is wired directly to the battery with a switched input from the front brake switch so it comes live when the ignition is turned on.

• Thanks Thanks x 1