Best Way To Bleed Abs Brakes?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Moe, Mar 27, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    Hi all, have noticed recently my brakes are spongy and need to be pumped once before a solid feel is felt if you get me? Assuming its air in the system.

Whats the best way to bleed them? 2016 speed triple s with abs.

Thanks

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    It is a 2 stage process to purge the lines as for non-abs then purging the abs valve. A dealer would use dealertune software or similar to open the valve as I don’t think TuneECU has caught up with 2016 yet..... although you could actuate your abs by stamping on the rear brake in a car park.......
    I would see how a regular bleed improves things first.

3. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Try these vids

• Useful Useful x 2
  4. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    On the Speed Triple, there is a bleed nipple on each of the calipers
    plus there is one near the brake lever

5. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    Cheers guys, ive done a standard bleed at the calipers which didnt seem to make much difference. Might be a dealer thing then

6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Final two tricks:

Bungee the brake lever ‘on’ and leave overnight. It pressurises the line and will make any trapped air bubbles more inclined to drift North to the handlebar reservoir where they can vent to the reservoir when you release the lever.

Secondly squeeze the brakes on a Triple at your dealer. Sometimes our imagination runs away about what ‘normal’ feels like. All brakes can be pumped a little......

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Don't forget the bleed nipple next to the brake lever
    - apply a little pressure on the brake lever
    - release the valve and tighten it up again
    - release the brake lever

Hopefully an air bubble or two may come out with a little of the oil, and you may notice an improvment then

8. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    #8 Red Thunder, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    If really stuck you could try the vacuum bleed system - having just gone through the video it seems good for pulling the fluid through, but not actually creating a vacuum, unless you can block off the reservoir which may then cause a vacuum, and may help explell air...I don't really know as never used one so just speculating

Amazon Sealey VS402 £30
    [​IMG]

9. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    When bleeding brakes in the past I usually take the caliper off and hold it with the bleed nipple at the highest point, as sometimes there there could be a higher point in the caliper hiding some air.
    This is especially useful for rear brakes as there can be a loop in the pipe above the pedal and caliper that could be hiding a lot of air, so take the caliper off and any hose fixing points and hold the caliper as high as you can with the pipe straight...

10. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    Ive got this tool, just sucks the fluid through

11. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    Ill have to try this before going to the dealer. Its deff got some air in it as my 99 cbr has a rock solid feel to it.

Although i have noticed that abs models have softer levers than non abs....assuming this is normal?

12. youngy

youngy Active Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Peterborough
    it depends on the system, and how complex it is. Honda, for example, have a specific procedure that takes pretty much all day.