Best Solar Trickle Charger

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by mark scarrott, Feb 7, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. mark scarrott

mark scarrott Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2015
    burntwood
    Hi All

I am unfortunate in that I have no electricity in my garage as it is 200 yards from the house.

I was thinking of getting an exterior solar trickle charger to keep the battery ticking along.

Has anybody has had experience of these and can suggest a decent model or another idea that will achieve the same.

Cheers Mark

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I use the oxford solariser, around £30, I believe it only trickle charges and but doesnt maintain or whatever. Coincidently I went away on holiday for 2 weeks and had the tiger connected to it, went to start it this morning and it seemed fully juiced up, started no probs. Optimate do one that does the full maintanace charge etc and that is roughly £100. Never used it but it can't be bad

• Like Like x 2
  3. alfie

alfie Getting older but still going for it
    Subscriber

Jan 27, 2018
    Bath, Zumerset
    I am in a similar situation with no electricity where my bike is kept. I went for the Optimate 20W solar charger/maintainer and I find it works very well. During the lock down I also use it on my car battery and it keeps that topped up as well.
    The charger has red, amber and green LEDs to indicate state of charge and it only takes a few hours to go from amber to green. There is also a blue LED to indicate when it is charging.
    The 20W appealed to me as sunlight is not guaranteed during our summer and currently on this wet day it is still charging.
    I hope this helps.
    Alfie

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I have tried a mini solar charger before and left it plugged in over night, by morning my battery was completely depleted. I think there was some reverse current or similar.

For about £150 / $200 you can get a 100w solar panel, charge controller etc for the garage roof
    Amazon UK link
    Plug your battery into that to charge, and have a deep cycle battery too that can provide lighting for your shed/garage

I haven't got this as there is too much shade to make it work
    Instead I charge a deep cycle battery on a long extension lead and this powers the six LED light strips, only needs a charge once every 3 month

• Like Like x 2