Best Selling Bikes Over 500cc For 2020 In The Uk

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by littleade, Feb 9, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. littleade

littleade The only sane one here
    Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    kidderminster Worcestershire
    I thought number 3 might be number 1

See if you can guess which is the top seller before you watch it and if there's any Triumph models in the top 10

• Like Like x 3
  2. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3
    Subscriber

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I can't believe how small the numbers sold are! Maybe due to covid?

3. littleade

Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    I'd guess so as we were in full lockdown from March to May so that's nearly half the biking season gone in 1 hit.

4. andyc1

Subscriber

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Also surprised the wee street twin wasn't in the list.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Iron

Iron This space for rent
    Subscriber

Dec 31, 2020
    Bristol
    It seems that last year's lockdown made no difference as sales went mad in December. This is from Motorcycles Data webpage:

British Motorcycles Market rolled up in the Q3 with December sales boomed (+58.1%) ending the 2020 with 104.525 sales (-2.7%), scoring over 100.000 units for the seventh consecutive year. Lexmoto jumps up 54% thanks to new customers focused on entry bikes.

This includes all bike sales but still. Interesting that the UK distributor of Lexmoto can gain so much headway against the competition. I know they are mostly scooters and learners but they are catching those youngsters from the Jap bikes.
    It's really hard to see which way the wind will blow, BMW seem to be able to sweep up everything they aim for, ThaiTriumph moving into Asia apparently due to their import duties while RE grab their bread and butter at home, Harley binning India (albeit doing a deal with Hero) and Lexmoto/China are kicking the UK's door down.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning!
    Subscriber

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    In France the first Triumph is the Speed triple ,ranked 11th over 500cc, 15th overall, with 1929 units +14%

7. johne

johne Senior Member

BMW must be laughing all the way to the bank. I can understand the budget models like the Royal Enfields being good sellers in difficult (Covid) times, but when you are approaching £20k GS models selling that well I'm guessing that's peoples 'holiday' money going on a shiny new 2 wheeler toy instead?

8. TillyB

TillyB Active Member

Dec 24, 2019
    Midlands
    Lots of bikes are bought on PCP finance type deals now so it’s more about affording the monthly amount rather than having to fund 20k

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. littleade

Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    When I went in to take mine for it's 1st service back in June the salesman said they were rushed off their feet with demand. He said usually he got a fair few timewasters but then people were ringing up and placing orders for new bikes over the phone knowing exactly what they wanted. They had very few bikes in used too demand was so high. As above they're masters at the PCP game and customer service, probably learnt alot from their car division. Sign here, see you in 3 years for another......ah yes we can offer you this over the GFV for your old bike as a deposit and the new one isn't that much more a month. Kerchiiiiingggggg

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Iron

Iron This space for rent
    Subscriber

Dec 31, 2020
    Bristol
    Cor, just had a quick look at some prices for new BMWs, Harleys and Triumph top enders.
    I was interested as I quite like the look of the BMW R18 looking Zundapp thing (although changes would have to be made with ye olde hacksaw), ok wasn't expecting anything cheap but 20 grand is quite a lot considering how much metal there is. Then I saw their go faster than anything else 1000RR rocket ship at 30 grand, sheeesh.
    So went to look at Harley with their reported falling off of a cliff. Their dresser CVO Ltd is 38 grand. Pfffft
    The new (not real) Rocket 3 is 20 grand. A mere trifling.
    I can see the attraction of PCP as the warranties cover the period as well (well, looks like BMW's do). I've made my mind up.

11. johne

johne Senior Member

Its horses for courses, but my 3 bikes combined cost less than £20k, but then I never buy new. The thought of the depreciation as you ride off the dealers forecourt for the first time fills this tight fisted Yorkshireman with dread. Having said all that I can see the attraction of PCP if riding around on a new set of wheels every 3 years is your bag and as Iron mentioned, the manufacturers warranty is there should you encounter problems and with chopping your bike (or car for that matter) in every 3 years, 'What's an MOT Mr garage mechanic?' ;)

My brother in law is a big fan (of PCP). He drives a £70k Merc, but I was rather bemused the last time I saw him and my sister 'cos they turned up in her ten year old Subaru Forester. "Where's the Merc I enquired?" "Oh, its back at home because I've reached the mileage limit on the agreement and I'll have to pay significant penalties if I go over the stipulated mileage" was his reply. I couldn't help but smile to myself when they left.

• Like Like x 3
  12. andyc1

Subscriber

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Give me the forrester any day :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. littleade

Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    Yes there's some silly prices about now. 1 bloke on the GS forum has ordered a new anniversary GS..... 22 fookin grand. WHAT
    I was looking at dealer prices today because my insurance is due next month on my 2020GS and a used 12month old 1 same model as mine is the cost of what I paid new. Jeeezus
    PCPs are tempting if you change your bike every few years but in general they tend to be taken out by peolle who "want it now" but don't have the money to pay for it. They're then caught in the trap. This is very common on cars and it's great for the motor trade as people buy vehicles they wouldn't otherwise been able to afford. The problem comrs at the end of the term when they can then struggle to find another deposit to put towards another PCP so then have to downsize

14. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning!
    Subscriber

Mar 25, 2020
    Most of BMW's are with PCP in France too. Otherwise who gonna spend 20 K for those?
    They are not anymore that reliable, lots of problems with ABS, some gearboxes. Only the price is premium.
    I could dig again for an old 1100 GS with the telelever.. certainly not for a recent one.

15. andyc1

Subscriber

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I think Charlie and Ewan have a lot to answer for when it comes to BMW sales. Seem like a lot of owners like to get all kitted up with the gear and full expedition luggage to go for a 60 mile bimble o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. littleade

Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    FTFY;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning!
    Subscriber

Mar 25, 2020
    Our was changed with 340 000 km, and was still going strong.

• Like Like x 1
  18. TillyB

TillyB Active Member

Dec 24, 2019
    Midlands
    Another crazy thing is the dealers are incentivised to sell the finance deals, I’m looking at a second hand GS at the moment and would probably get a better deal if I was buying on finance.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    My local BMW garage said he sold a lot more bikes in 2020 than in previous years, i guess with lockdown it's made folk think life's to short just buy the bike! Triumph dealer up in Aberdeen where saying the same

• Like Like x 2
  20. David Reynolds

Jun 26, 2020
    Browns Valley CA
    The entire market seems to be going nuts in the U.S. with everyone emphasizing outdoor recreation due to circumstances. I just sold a 15 yo DRZ 400 to my buddy for $2800 because I was being a nice guy when similar, older bikes with higher miles seem to be selling quickly for $3500. The used dual sport market in particular is on fire, don't know about the UK.