Best Place To Connect Usb Charging Wire

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by David H., Aug 15, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David H.

David H. New Member

Aug 15, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    I have an '04 Speed Triple and I just ordered a battery powered jump start device for it. It has the option to be charged while the bike is running via a USB port powered by a cigarette lighter charger, and I know the easiest way to hook up the charger is to just run it to the battery terminals. However, I'd prefer to not have the backup battery being charged by the battery while the bike is off, so I'd like to connect it to something that is only on when the bike is on.

That being said, the rectifier on my bike is actually mounted under the back seat of my bike, which makes it really easy to reach, and I'm putting in a new one in the next day or so because I suspect it has gone bad. I was thinking it might be a good idea to splice in the cigarette lighter charger on the battery side of the rectifier, since the previous connector was fried due to a short and I had to solder that side of the wiring anyway. My thought is that the device will only be receiving a charge when the engine is running, so I would avoid draining the battery when the engine is off.

The things I can think of for why it wouldn't work like I hope it will are:

1. Maybe the current would be too high for the device, though on that side of the rectifier my understanding is that the current and voltage should already be regulated to the needs of the system, or;
    2. Because the rectifier goes straight to the battery, connecting an accessory to it that draws power might still drain the battery; or
    3. Adding a power draw to a wire connected to the rectifier might damage the rectifier. I imagine I would need a charger that has a fuse to prevent that, but it's still something to think about.

I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable than me might be able to help me figure this out. I suppose another option is splicing it into something that is only powered when the key is turned on, but then I have to cut up perfectly good wires to splice the connection in, and I'd like to avoid that if possible.

2. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    You need to locate the ignition on terminal of the ignition switch and wire into that via a fuse, that way its only on during the engine running.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Could you splice into the tail light?

• Like Like x 2
  4. David H.

David H. New Member

Aug 15, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    That might not be a bad idea, actually. The wiring is pretty close together and easier to access than at other places. I'll have a look while I'm installing the rectifier.

5. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    This is something I need to do with my ride. Does anybody know where the best place to start looking for an accessible spot on my 06 Scrambler, front end of bike preferred.

6. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    You can probably hook up to a switched wire in your headlight assembly.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. mpllineman

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Thanks for the advice. I had just about come to that conclusion, but two head's are better than one!

• Like Like x 1
  8. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I wired my sat nav to the horn using piggy bag spade connector, dead easy and switched

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. mpllineman

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Well I hadn't thought of that. All I want to do is to wire up a phone charger. I have a small magnetic tank bag, just large enough for phone, smokes and that sized goodies. I plan to use a gps app on my phone, that will ride on top of the bag, properly covered for the rain. I do like to keep things tidy and that sounds like just the spot I need to wire into. Thanks again!

10. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    don't use the horn earth but earth to the bracket or similar

• Thanks Thanks x 1