Best Options For Storing/working In Your Bikes?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by MartyWilson, Jul 1, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

#1 MartyWilson, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2020
    'Ello all!

I am looking to put down some money on a new, or at least immaculate Bonnie of some description (not sure which yet whether Thruxton R, Speed Twin, T120 etc.) in the near future but don't currently have anywhere to keep it out of the rain so will be needing to buy a shed or one of those box things. Ideally I could use space for at least one more bike (my current Sprint RS) and maybe some space to work on them.

Not got space for a garage and will need to level up the ground at the side of my house as it slopes.

Anyway what would you fine fellows recommend in terms of value for money, ease of assembly and durability. Would I be better with a DIY kit or would I be just as well in terms of cost and sanity to see about getting someone in to do it for me?

P.S That title should be 'Working on your bike' but I can't see any way to correct it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

Thanks for that idea. I think the chances of theft are reasonably low. I live in a small village which sits at the end of eight miles of difficult single track road in rural Argyll. The garden where it would be kept is surrounded by a six foot high wooden fence and I would be securing the garden gates with good locks. I am guessing that the chances of someone coming out here to 'scope' out some bikes for thieving are fairly low. My main concern is keeping the bike dry and cosy and having somewhere out of the rain to do servicing. I actually hadn't though of a plastic shed. Need to see what sort of sizes and prices they are.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

I need to get the old tape measure out and figure out exactly how much space I have in the area I planned to put it. I found a similar one on ebay from the same maker at 7.5x11 which, I think would be a great size although it ain't cheap at £1500. It's ticklish though as I could get the large metal Asgard 7'4"x11' bike store for £1800. Question is, is the metal bike shed worth £300 more than the plastic one? Or I could save myself a fortune and just keep it inside the house :D Choices, choices!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Georgez

Georgez Senior Member

Nov 2, 2019
    Pacific North West
    Whatever you get {larger is better} include a fan to keep the air/moisture circulating to do away with condensation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    Do you have a wife or significant other living with you? Kick them out and put the new bike in the kitchen. Dilemma solved. ;)

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    In your neck of the soggy woods a timber shed becomes a maintenance liability. This
    https://www.costco.co.uk/Garden-She...n-2-Colours-Model-Utility-75/p/utility7.5Shed
    at £1300 includes delivery. You just need a £15 online fee to join. You want a concrete base about 3-4” thick laid on some tamped aggregate with a slight run off. While wet put a U shaped shallow drainage channel on the uphill sides. Get digging and shutter off the required base! And wash the salt out of any aggregate you nick off the beach......

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Kitchen? Are you INSANE? There's a lounge for bikes. The kitchen's for the cleaning kit. :p

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Agree Agree x 4
  8. dreitopf

dreitopf Active Member

Feb 27, 2020
    Germany
  9. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

This shed thing is proving a problem. The wife persuaded me that I should spend money on one of those 'expert' blokes rather than doing it myself, well, guess what! Every bleeding shed and garden building expert within a hundred mile radius is fully booked to October or thereabouts. This Covid19 thing has, apparently resulted in a massive demand for sheds. One of the nearest to me was telling me that he is very worried as he's having to turn away work but suspects that, when it comes to the end of this year they will all discover that they have basically, between them all, built (or turned away) virtually every shed that would have been built over the next few years and will find themselves out of work.

I never thought that Covid19 lockdown would have resulted in a mad frenzy of building works but I guess it ain't really too surprising as the Shed fellow was saying that, if you think about it, you have had months of some folks getting at least 80% of their pay while not going to work, paying fares, taxi's etc. or going to shops, pubs or night clubs so money to burn and wife's getting fed up with them under their feet so persuading them to finally get that shed etc. that they had been putting off. Just wish it didn't coincide with me needing one of the bleeding things.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    If it’s to go at the side of the house you could build a lean to, built on a concrete base for it to go on, if crime isn’t a problem what about a car port built on the side of the house, this would keep the rain off and give you some were to work on your bikes.

11. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    https://www.asgardsss.co.uk/motorcycle-storage

You can have these how you like, even extended like I did its also police rated and helped with my insurance it was also erected by them I just had to have a concrete base for it to go on

and it is ventilated I have never had any issues with condensation

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    I bought a shed and whilst happy with it, I wish I had made my own. Mine is soaked in wood preserver, then paint, everything touching the floor is bitumen painted so not overly worried about ongoing maintenance, just a coat of paint every five years. I ran power to mine and have a little frost heater, lights and power sockets. I also fitted a low vent over the heater and a high vent in the opposite corner.

The reason I wish I had made my own is because it would have given me total control of shape, size, strength and layout. Also giving other options like insulation, load bearing etc.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. MonkeyHanger

MonkeyHanger Active Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Barnstaple, Devon
    upload_2020-7-10_16-45-44.png

• Like Like x 11
    • Funny Funny x 3
  14. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
  15. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    upload_2020-7-21_10-35-3.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  16. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Ooooh next years GMU :p

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. DavidBrownLaw

DavidBrownLaw Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2020
    Lawrence, Kansas
  18. OhCrumOn

OhCrumOn Well-Known Member

May 2, 2019
    Phila
    I keep my 2019 speed triple rs in the back yard under a bike cover & recently did an engine swap on my R1 in the back yard with just a canopy & some wood as the base.

If you have the means, time, money, & space for a shed; just pull the trigger. If you've already got a couple of bikes and haven't had a coming to Jesus moment where you determined a shed was/is necessary... well, you probably don't really need one. My back yard is tight and a shed would look garish; a shed the size I would want would take up 75% of the real estate out back so I've simply determined one wasn't mission critical.

• Like Like x 1