Bennetts Insurance Rip Off

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by elevensies, Feb 20, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. elevensies

elevensies Noble Member

Jun 11, 2019
    lincolnshire
    Well well well, yet another insurance company i wont be using from here on....

BENNETTS

Just removed private reg from anther vehicle, lloyds charged me £25 for this grrrr totally unimpressed

then added it to my scrambler..... and Bennetts, charged me £32, but the cost HAS to be spread over the monthly direct debt????? oh so i asked is there and interest being paid on this....

YES
    so not only are they charging an inflated admin charge, they also by default add on interest.

no doubt i will get the usual bollox...well small print this, small print that, but the fact is, i wasnt able to :
    make the payment as a 1 off.

Totally disrespectful company who care little for its customer because as usual insurance companies have us over a barrel !!!!!!!

I wish there was an alternative way

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I think that all the effort with keen pricing goes into getting you on board as a customer, once they have you by the short & curlies they then shaft you for any changes, when I changed bikes mid policy a couple of years back they absolutely spanked the rate to change, I got so mad I cancelled the policy & went with someone else for a lot less.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. elevensies

elevensies Noble Member

Jun 11, 2019
    lincolnshire
    my issue was the added interest on the policy admin charge.
    The admin charge should be just that, not a charge with interest....

Personally i wouldnt have entertained them, even at £316, out of principle.

I want clarity throughout not trying to haggle or find the right person to talk with.

£316, wow what you insuring?

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    It does seem a little strange that you cannot pay the admin charge as a one off? They want to spread it over the term of the policy and then charge you interest, WTF is that all about.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. elevensies

elevensies Noble Member

Jun 11, 2019
    lincolnshire
    totally agree, and the overly expensive admin charge of £32 to start with.

I questioned why i couldnt make a 1 off payment, and he said policy, then started to quote all the small print etc etc etc.....

i openly stated that the small print wasnt read, as the fundamentals of the policy should be , price, term, and what you get for your money, the rest shouldnt be extras on top of extras.

Lets face it we are at their mercy continually, i want the ombudsman or someone to start looking at insurances as they are becoming less worth more money.
    And this is just another example. Its not like if i even read the small print and thought, you know what, i dont want this, because all small print would be sufficient for me to walk away regardless of company.
    There is no clarity nor responsibility for control on insurances, yet we are forced into it, forced!!!
    The bigger the company the worse they are.
    i would like a blanket ban on say one insurance company a month....no one insures with whoever for a month, then they might sit up and start to listen.

My biggest bug is having to insure vehicles independently. I own a multitude of vehicles, each one has separate insurance, and no i dont do multi as they either dont work for the type of vehicle i own or they are more expensive, ok if you own a couple of new modern vehicles where theres a book to calculate loss from, but vintage stuff isnt quite the same......read the small print guys if you think you have it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Oldfart

Oldfart Senior Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Staffs Moorlands
    If there are any legal bods on here I'd be interested to know if forcing someone to pay in this manner is actually legal. By their own admission it's an admin fee, not a change in the circumstances of the motor cycle or the person being insured.

Doesn't surprise me they're trying it on, they are all thievin' barstewards. They expect you to have integrity beyond reproach whilst displaying exactly the opposite themselves.

Oldfart

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Show me one insurance company that doesn't rip off its customers.:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Bryf

Bryf Guest

I was with them (Bennetts) for a few years and got to say I had no real major problems and they were competitively priced, however at that time I was retired but 2 years ago I got myself a little part time job as a delivery driver and on renewal that year and on informing them of this, they then wouldn't insure me!!! tried for quote last year again out of curiosity and once again was declined, crazy!!!! They won't get another chance.

• Like Like x 1
  9. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    As i was stung nearly £100 pounds for a midterm change of bike as i swapped the speed triple for the speed twin i told peter james ins to take a hike and phoned around and eventually spoke to a helpful chap Jamie at Heritage Ins, i had a multi bike policy before as i have 1 modern and 3 classic bikes on the road, they sorted out a far better deal inc agreed values on the 3 classics.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Bennetts also raped me of money just for a cherished number!

• Like Like x 1
  11. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    What goes around comes around.

Every year come renewal time (for me) its time to go on the comparison sites. I've actually got two of my bikes insured with Bennetts at the mo. They were way cheaper than the alternatives this year on like for like cover, but I'm not holding my breath and next year I'll be surprised if I'm not changing companies once again. I must have been with most of the bike insurance companies over the years, Hastings, Carole Nash, Aviva, Norwich Union as was! etc. etc. Their current m.o. seems to be give a good introductory discount for new business and then hang you out to dry in 12 months time. There is no loyalty towards customers anymore which I think is a shame.

• Agree Agree x 6
  12. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Totally agree! I’ve done the rounds too and all seem similar it’s just a case of who’s best on the day of my renewal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Sprinter1050uk

May 4, 2017
    Mansfield, Notts
    Just read today that Bennetts has been sold to a company that already owns Carole Nash and Swinton, subject to regulatory approval.So much for competition, I usually play these three off against each other at renewal time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. elevensies

elevensies Noble Member

Jun 11, 2019
    lincolnshire
    i truly hate insurance companies..... we have no way of making them accountable for their actions, and they above any regulation, due to dismissive and swerv-able small print.

I have just found out. and this needs checking, i kid you not.... there is a clause in my car insurance, i saw today, that if my car is stolen from anywhere other than my locked garage, im not insured.

So if its stolen from a car park, not insured, a friends hose i visit, not insured... HOW? How has is come to this, i wouldnt have taken the insurance if i had known this....... oh and comparison sites allow actions like this to happen, because you miss so much info out typing it in. The insurer told me this yesterday, when he said, ohh you went through a comparison site, its cheaper because you dont get all the benfefits...WHAT??? so my cheaper insurance is no more that legality to be on the road, YES.....

Terrible, especially when they quote you as much to leave as the remaining value, if not more you have left for cover.

There needs to be a reform of this scam. URGENTlY

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  15. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Just got my renewal through the post this morning for my Z900RS from Bennetts. £470 for the year, was £260 last year they said so I immediately rang them to stop the auto renew. Why they asked ? Because through comparethemarket.com you are quoting me £215 I said. Ok we'll do it for that then she said. So she did her stuff and said that'll be £171 then. Even better. Turns out I had an extra years no-claims over what I'd put in the online quote so I saved almost £300 over the normal rip off price by getting the "new business" price".

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I actually had a very pleasant surprise last week... renewal came in for the bonkers fast Superduke at just 160ish quids... about 60 quids down from last year :grinning: they informed me it was on auto renew and I don't have to do a thing so I will happily do feck all... bikesure for those interested. Heard bad things about dealing with them if you need them but for that price I'll take my chances :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Didn't know you had a z900RS Andy... Nice! I like those, any pics? They do them in lovely gloss colours too.. unlike Triumph :mad:

18. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    It amazes me that insurers are prepared to reduce prices for new business over renewing an existing policy. I worked for an insurance company for over 30 years prior to retirement and at each and every annual conference it was drummed into the staff that we had to do all we could to retain renewals as it was much more economical to renew a policy than to take out a new one.

Also when looking around for cover remember that cheapest is not necessarily the best, there is an old adage 'you get what you pay for' that applies to insurance as much as anything else. Theft terms and excesses are 2 of the obvious ones.
    When taking out cover whether from a comparison site or insurer direct check the terms. You can usually download these and the policy wording to make sure you know what you are buying.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

#19 Cyborgbot, Jan 23, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2021
    Don’t you need to be a dithering old codger to use Saga?

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

I shall take a look...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1