Beginner Looking For Advice On Learning To Ride And Which Bike!

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Jaypan80, Jun 2, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jaypan80

Jaypan80 New Member

Jun 2, 2020
    Newport Pagnell
    Hi Guys, newbie here, haven't even got a bike yet. Learning this year and i'm hoping to get some much needed advice regarding beginner bikes etc. Hope you are all well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Hi Mate & Welcome to the Forum :cool:

Newbie bikes are a difficult thing, depends on whether you've ridden off road/field bikes & have a feeling for throttle control & braking on more slippery surfaces. Assuming you have no experience at all, then I would advise do some time on a learner legal 125 to gain experience, if you are doing direct access test then things are a little more down to personal taste, what you want from your bike & what you'll use it for.

One thing I would strongly advise is to seek further more advanced training after passing your test, it will help you develop you skills & keep you safer. :)

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Welcome in Jaypan, Good luck with your lessons take it easy and all will be fine, Only bit of advice I would give to a learner or newly qualified biker is dont go for the biggest or the best, start of with a decent cheap bike until you've gained a bit of self experience and awareness on the road, we all make mistakes and daft choices in newly learnt skills and if the worst should ever happen or even if you just drop it :mad:, if the bike didn't cost much or owe you a lot of money its easier to take on the chin and sort out and carry on, Its all part of the fun,
    Enjoy :D:D:cool:

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome to the forum Jaypan.

98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2.gif

• Like Like x 2
  5. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi and welcome.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Hi and welcome

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Adrian Braithwaite

Adrian Braithwaite Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Kirkhamgate
    I would echo what has been said especially if you go down the Direct Access route. I have taught a number of guys who have already been and ordered a bike even though they have never thrown a leg over a motorbike in their life just because a mate says to go for it. It is usually those that then have put themselves under so much pressure to pass the test that it makes learning to ride a real uphill struggle and indeed some then give up eventually. With regards to buying a bike after you have passed, you must consider the physical size of the bike so that it is suitable for your build/height etc. The main decision then is what style of bike you like and the use the bike is to be put to, ie purely leisure, commuting carrying a pillion etc.
    Finally, as again suggested, do some follow on training after you pass what is after all a very basic Mod 1 Test and then a Mod 2 40 minute road ride assessing your ability at that time. I personally would recommend something in the region of a 500/600cc bike depending on your skill, ability and.....attitude!

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate and welcome

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    Hi Jaypan, welcome from a fellow newbie. Should we cross paths, you'll be able to recognize me by the number of teeth on my rear sprocket.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jaypan80

Jaypan80 New Member

Jun 2, 2020
    Newport Pagnell
    Hello everyone,

I’ve got to say I’m overjoyed with the response from you who have posted. Thank you so much for taking the time to offer your much needed advice. Currently as it stands me and my brother are looking at doing the CBT. We are complete novices, I’ve ridden a moped around Chang Mai in Thailand and had a road legal quad for a few years but that’s as far as it goes. He’s (my brother) is a bit more eager then I to do the crash course get the bike he wants and go from there, whereas I’m more interested in getting a 125cc do my CBT and gain some experience of handling the bike, experience the road and then take the direct access with the intention of buying a Triumph when and only when I feel ready. I’ve always liked the triumph since my grandad and I watched the great escape. I like the shape of the Bonneville, Speed twin. It’s just stuck with me. Whereas my brother likes his sports bikes. I like the classic styles. If I may call them that. Is there a relatively similar 125cc bike out there with the style, weight and set up similar to the above mentioned triumphs? And what price range wouldn’t you go below for a 125? I thought this way I could get something to gain experience on that is similar to the bike I’d like to eventually ride once I am completely ready. Apologies for the long winded post, novice newbie needs nurturing.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi Jaypan and welcome to the forum :cool: Best of luck with your test, searching bikes for sale may help with your learner bike

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Hi mate. If you go the CBT route, get yourself an old CB125 Honda, simplicity itself & pretty bulletproof.
    I taught my son to ride, he wanted a sportsbike, I said no, he went CBT on a CB125, then took his test, he then had a DR400 Suzuki which we took on fields as well as the road & he learned about throttle & brake control for a year or so. Then a SV650 with a restriction kit until he was allowed to remove it, finally a GSXR 750, he is a very accomplished rider now.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Welcome to the forum, @Jaypan80. And to the awesome world of motorcycles and bikers. It's a wonderful new world! :) And my favorite subculture. :joy:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Have a look for a bike training school in your area. Give them a call and then drop in for a chat with them. They will be able to give you the options for learning that you have to get your licence. They will also provide a bike (s) for you to get started on.. Once you get started you can then start to consider what type of bike you want for when you past your test....

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
  16. Adrian Braithwaite

Adrian Braithwaite Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Kirkhamgate
    I believe that you are getting pretty much similar advice from the most of the guys on this forum. motorcycling is a lifelong passion, once you are hooked it is difficult to free yourself and for that reason take your time, learn as much as you can and you will enjoy it so much. Eventually you will get to be like the rest of us, then you need to start to feel worried!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Hello n welcome :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Jaypan80.
    All good advice here and i repeat it all. Take your time get to know whatever bike you choose. I if taking a test these days would yes go for an old Honda cb or a Suzuki van van. great bikes especially the van van as it has those big tyres that give so much more feel and response. Let us all know how you are getting on.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Jaypan80

Jaypan80 New Member

Jun 2, 2020
    Newport Pagnell
    I’d just like to say a massive thanks to everyone whose posted and the invaluable advice given. I’m calling a few CBT centres tomorrow along with my brother, think he’s going to take the direct route ASAP. I’m going to look into getting a 125cc from your suggestions and gain experience first. We’ll see who’s the better biker in the long run! Thanks again everyone! Much appreciated, Jay

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Hi Jaypan, and welcome in again :cool::cool:
    Have a look at these mate, they deal in 125 and 250 bikes in what I think is the style you're after ;);)
    https://muttmotorcycles.com

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1