Tiger 800 Beak Cracked From Tire Contact

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by Bluenoser2, Mar 30, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bluenoser2

Bluenoser2 New Member

Hello Everyone from the east coast of Canada!

I was out 2 days ago on a fairly bumpy road and heard a noise from the front when my shocks were compressed. Not the first time I've heard this while riding off-road and I thought it may be the tire after I installed new TrailMax Missions. When I returned home, I see that my beak was split in the front so that must be what is making the noise. I am just around 200 lbs and don't ride over-aggressively. Anyone else had this problem? I could adjust the preload but I don't think what I was doing on this particular trip should have caused the tire to contact the beak.

Thanks!

2. Qship

Qship New Member

Apr 22, 2021
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Can't say I've ever heard of the tires/front fender contacting the beak at full compression before. Didn't think the front could compress that far, as that would be a bad design flaw, but am not familiar with your ride. I run the Dunlops as well. Stock sizes. I had my fender extender get hooked in the front of the skidplate(SWMotech) when I hit a bad bump in the road on the Noel Shore road a couple of years ago. The extender is gone now. Triumph(or SW Motech, can't recall exactly right now)recommends Not installing the extender with the skid plate. Was fine with the plastic one mine came with but apparently not after installing the SWMotech skid plate.

3. Bluenoser2

Bluenoser2 New Member

Thanks for the reply. It is odd. Maybe I should have had the dealer check the shocks when I had it in a day ago. I took some of it apart and the plastic beak support is cracked on one side in addition to the two brackets (brittle metal) hanging down from what appears to be connected to the headlight frame. I bought the bike used and there were some signs that it may have hit an animal. I'll keep an eye on it, but strange that this seemed to just start with the new tires. You would think there would be more clearance. I have had a couple of others comment on a different forum that they have compressed theirs fully without any issue.

4. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Are the new tyres the same profile, maybe they are a higher profile if that makes sense.

5. Qship

Qship New Member

Apr 22, 2021
    New Brunswick, Canada
    #5 Qship, Apr 22, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2023
    Is it possible one or more brackets were cracked and the rough roads finished the job? What makes you think it may have hit an animal before you purchased it? Were you at the new Dealer( ADP Motorsports) out in Glenhaven or a more local one to you? Rallye bought the Indian dealer on Chainlake drive recently, but I don't think they can sell Triumphs there because of ADP.

6. Bluenoser2

Bluenoser2 New Member

Thanks Joshua. I will do some research on that. I am running Trail Max's and previously had the stock tires.

7. Bluenoser2

Bluenoser2 New Member

Hello Again Qship: I haven't done much off-road riding so I don't think that would do it, however maybe when the tire contacted the beak, it was the final straw. I bought it at Rallye in Moncton. It looked new with 7900 kms on it. I hit an animal in my car once and it looked like the same blood spatters, not to mention the tiny bit of fur. Rallye said it had never been in an accident but they may not have been aware. The tech at their store is a good one and I may pick his brain but I likely won't be back up there for any work. I had it in for a couple of things they said they would fix after I took delivery in December 2021. They stood by that nearly a year later which was impressive. They offer $24 one way transport to their Moncton shop from the Halifax store which worked out well as I was going to rent a u-haul for this last week. The uhaul is $14.95 but it saved me 5 hours of driving not to mention the gas would have driven that cost up over 2x$24 one ways. And you are right, they can't sell or do any Triumph warranty work at the Chain Lake acquisition as APD is still the dealer locally. APD has just added a lot of expansion space so I'll get out there soon to check them out. I appreciate having a resource like yourself one province over so I'm sure we'll be talking every now and then. And if you are ever this way, be sure to let me know. Best Regards, David

8. Qship

Qship New Member

Apr 22, 2021
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I asked some other XCx/XCa owners I know to check this out and maybe offer some insight

9. Qship

Qship New Member

Apr 22, 2021
    New Brunswick, Canada
    The other 800 owners I asked to look at this say they've done some good off road trails and never had the tire contact the beak on their bikes. Suspect it was faulty before you purchased and maybe some further investigation may be needed. Have you examined the head stock for stess cracks as well. Maybe previous owner liked to do wheelies and bent some stuff with hard landings or hard landings from jumps.
    Just putting a bit more info for you to check on possible reasons for your issue.

10. Bluenoser2

Bluenoser2 New Member

Greatly appreciate the help. I'll check it out.