Be Careful Whilst Out Riding

Discussion in 'Forum News' started by Iceman, Mar 2, 2023.

1. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Beware for our friends north of the border in Scotland, I understand from a trusted source that there is a UK, Wales and Scotland high Police presence this summer for motorcyclists who commit road traffic offences, the intention is to catch (sorry educate) speeding bikers etc. There is already a strong deterrent from speeding in place by every council in England, Wales and Scotland, it's called "POTHOLES", or in some cases sink holes.

thumbnail_IMG_1892.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Peter B

Peter B Active Member

May 24, 2020
    West Yorkshire
    I'd like them to target the morons driving cars badly.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Out here in the California Desert my experience is much the same as Sandi-T mentioned. Not a cop in sight. Last ticket I got was maybe 10 yrs. ago. I was riding my old Sprint 900 on a mountain backroad with friends. I was ticketed for 85 in a 55 zone while passing a slow car on a 2 lane road. What was I supposed to do, creep by him slowly while I am exposed to possible oncoming
    traffic ? The officer told me at the time "you are not supposed to exceed the posted speed limit at ANY TIME ". OH please ! :confused:...J.D.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
  5. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    They have done the same on this road as they have done on the horseshoe pass up to the Ponderosa. 40mph has killed any enjoyment for riding here. :mad:

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Seriously - 40mph?

8. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    #28 RevPaul, Apr 1, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
    I can cope with introducing average speed cameras, speeding on some of those roads in tourist season can be quite dangerous. And whilst I’m sure we wouldn’t push it, there’s plenty of car Porsche / Audi / BMW etc drivers (and some sports bike riders) who take the attitude “I came here to go fast, so I will regardless.” So because of them, cameras make sense.

What’s crazy/frustrating/annoying to me, is putting up cameras and simultaneously dropping the speed limit from 60 to 40!:mad: Guaranteed to frustrate everyone:tired_face:, which will lead to some people speeding, which will lead to fines (probably the plan all along). At the same time it will encourage others (including me and those I ride with) to find other roads to enjoy within the spirit of the law. Accident statistics may fall, but so will visitor numbers to Wales.:mad:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yep 40 mph:confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    The average speed cameras and reduction in speed limits are linked to reductions in vehicle emissions for councils to meet government targets on climate change, yes most of us are concerned about global warming, personally I am fed up with the "snowflake brigade", the biggest polluters being India, China, Russia etc, the UK by comparison is miniscule in the wider picture, take our premier football teams, they regularly hire planes to and from matches, can that be justified I think not.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    All very good points @Iceman

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    All very good points @Iceman

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. andypandy

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    And who reports on football teams hiring planes ? The BBC. And who sends their reporters all over the world just to appear in a particular location to speak a few words ? Yes, the BBC. Two faced twits.
    Edit: Sorry mispelt twits. Oh heck I've done it again !

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Not only the BBC but Sky News and others have covered this, also been on various radio channels, the trouble is most people like going away on holiday and flying compounds matters even worse, just look at recent events at the ports and the huge backlog of vehicles, should rail journeys by steam engines be banned, they pollute the atmosphere greatly, and there are an awful lot of steam train journeys (at extortionate amounts of money). Ride safe all from an ageing Rocker (who is fortunate to have been part of the golden years).

• Like Like x 2
  15. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I have long held the view that so much of our air pollution is from air travel. When you look at the massive amount of fuel jet aircraft burn, coupled with the fact that they go about everywhere, I think it is probably a good bet I am correct. Here where I live, they plan to outlaw the sale of new gasoline powered vehicles by 2035, and the U.S. is on this big stupid push to make everything electric. I think, in the end, the improvement in air quality results are going to be sadly...disappointing. ...J.D.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. andypandy

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    While in the UK we are responsible for 1% of the worlds CO2 production(so we're told) so whatever we do is going to make no difference in practical terms while China, India and Russia keep banging out the majority of the crap.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    It's getting a little ridiculous out on the roads now, read the article below, I just don't get why motorists upload and report incidents they see as inappropriate (I am not talking about dangerous riding/driving) but anything a driver sees as inappropriate. All that said people who do upload and report others are not made aware that they themselves may have committed an offence, unless it is a passenger using the phone, if it is the driver then potentially they could face a fine and 6 points. Also if a person receives a NIP and believes they have been charged, then they can elect to go to trial on a not guilty plea, you can then request the person who supplied that footage attends court for cross examination, and they can be asked all manner of relevant questions, such as what may have preceded the recording (their own behaviour), an awful lot of drivers appear to take exception to motorcyclists making overtakes or other lawful manoeuvres. People who upload the videos justify their actions as "in the interest of road safety, and not about criminalising people), what absolute crap. Oh and the app is not free. Ride safe all from an ageing Rocker.

thumbnail_IMG_1897.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Do they get a citation for using the camera while driving ? ...J.D.:D

19. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    If the driver operates the phone then yes, 6 points on your licence and a fine, plus court costs and a victim surcharge, no penalty if a passenger use sthe phone.

20. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    • Like Like x 1