Be Careful Whilst Out Riding

Discussion in 'Forum News' started by Iceman, Mar 2, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi all, now that better weather is coming and more riders are getting out onto the roads, be very careful, a number of Police Forces including Yorkshire, Lancashire and Cumbria are due to undertake both covert and overt operations to target motorcyclists speeding and other road traffic offences. There are unmarked Mercedes, BMW, and Skoda high performance Cars amongst others to target speeding motorcyclists, also be further aware that a number of high performance motorcycles are also being used by the Police, if you are group riding of 2 or more and suddenly a BMW S100rr suddenly joins the group be cautious in all likelihood it will be a Police Officer who has front/rear cameras, also being used are a number of adventure bikes such as the KTM Superduke, the unmarked cars are already in operation on roads leading to popular meeting places like Devils Bridge in Kirkby Lonsdale. There are also speed camera vans and units with hand held devices, the locations are not being pre disclosed, therefore no media information as was previously the case. Some Police Officers have taken it upon themselves (unofficially) to place false warnings of a speed camera/police presence onto Waze. Whilst we are all law abiding people on the forum, a spirited ride can lead to points and fines not insignificant amounts when you think of the fine, costs and victim surcharge are all added. Ride safe all from an ageing Rocker.

• Like Like x 9
    • Useful Useful x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    All in the name of safety. My arse!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    You are right there, it has very little to do with safety, stats show hardly any accidents or incidents on a number of the roads targeted, some of the roads have no junctions, houses or schools etc, not even farm gates for the tractors to suddenly pull out of, unfortunately it would be a political nightmare to acknowledge anything other than the "road safety" crap.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Spotted a KTM Adventure bike with Police rider in Bangor North Wales

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    All in the name of road safety con, expensive machines out of taxpayers money

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    Easy revenue maker targeting motorbikes.
    Probably the result of some codgers complaining about noise.
    Agree re E scooters great idea in principal for hire but outside of that privately owned darn right dangerous things.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Arf765

Arf765 Member

Feb 3, 2023
    Berkshire, uk
    Targeting road users is a great way & easy way of raising a lot of revenue plus if caught speeding for example it all goes down with there crime figures & to keep there averages up across the board so easy target !! Just imagine the hard work involved trying to catch someone who stole your bike? It’s a joke

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    There are average speed cameras being installed very soon on the stretch of road from Caton in Lancashire to Kirkby Lonsdale (Devils Bridge) in Cumbria, alternative routes to Devils Bridge are to be target by unmarked police vehicles and mobile speed camera vans, There are mutterings to impose a 50mph limit instead of the 60mph NSL on this section.

9. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Wow, @Iceman, this sounds like a lot of taxpayers' dollars at work to solve a problem that doesn't really exist. It would be interesting to find and pull the thread that leads to the reason for this. Mr. Sandi and I do say that these days (maybe not just these days), all things lead to greed and power. So perhaps it is designed to generate revenue. Somewhere, someone is getting something out of this.

In the meantime, here in Arizona, it's a very different story. There's nary a police officer to be seen. It's so bad that I find myself wishing to see a police presence! The consequence (not surprisingly) is that people are becoming more and more bold about running red lights, speeding, and generally driving aggressively. I've taken to counting how many cars make a left turn when the light is red for them--and I've counted as many as six cars continuing to make a left turn again a red light! It has gotten so bad that I wait several seconds and look both ways (more than once) before proceeding through an intersection whether it's in my car or on a bike. :mad:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Sandi, first of all I haven't forgotten about Ian Hutchinson, there was no follow up to that article, however I do have an excellent book that Hutchy wrote, I am at our local Post Office tomorrow so I will ask about the postage, if it is not to expensive I will send it to you FOC, I will keep you updated and PM you (if I can remember how). Back to the original post it sounds like you have a different set of problems, albeit a lot more serious consequences wise, an aggressive driver in a car or truck are a lot more likely to cause riders more harm. It is similar here in the UK, a lot of drivers, and it is drivers not riders who run both amber and red lights, an awful lot of cyclists run red lights and all manner of careless riding, we have a new hierarchy of road users now, it's incorporated into the Highway Code, in real terms this means if a prosecution takes place re an accident or incident the Court takes the view anything in breach of the Highway Code is an offence. It places the greatest responsibility on HGV drivers, then car drivers etc etc with the most vulnerable being pedestrians, if driving or riding and you intend making a right/left turn and a pedestrian is waiting to cross the road, we are now supposed to stop and let them cross, this has already caused rear end collisions through vehicles travelling to close to one another, one real big issue on our UK Motorway networks are vehicles travelling to close to the one in front, car drivers seem to forget the 2 second rule and that stopping distance at 20mph is around 3 car lengths, at 50mph it's around 13 car lengths, If you're travelling at 70mph, the stopping distance will be more like 24 car lengths, given a lot are only 2 to 3 car lengths behind it makes you shudder to think what gets in their heads. On reflection I think I would prefer the average speed cameras that what you describe Sandi, at least the average speed cameras account for all vehicles, and not just targeting us bikers. I haven't seen any evidence based paper that sets out the reason for the introduction of these cameras, nor who funded them, especially at a time of austerity with lots of people struggling financially. I don't know why countries do not follow say Switzerland, they have had a system for years that if a road user is going above the speed limit where there are traffic lights, then they automatically turn to red, jump that red light and the vehicle is caught on camera resulting in a letter through your letterbox (fine), we do have camera traffic lights in the UK but only in selected areas, ironically more and more local Councils are imposing bans on more than 3 people riding together through towns, similar to Australia, although that was more about criminalising the 1% clubs, that ironically have very strict laws in place re criminal acts anyhow. Ride safe all from an ageing Rocker.

11. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    A great reminder about the risks out there for us all, so thanks for posting @Oldskool .
    It is increasingly difficult to find good roads to enjoy on the bike these days. Not that I’m advocating speeding but some stretches where speed cameras of heavy police presence on roads is creating for me no go areas to ride in.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    A great reminder about the risks out there for us all, so thanks for posting @Oldskool .
    It is increasingly difficult to find good roads to enjoy on the bike these days. Not that I’m advocating speeding but some stretches where speed cameras or heavy police presence on roads is creating for me no go areas to ride in.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    @Iceman wasn't it that road where the police killed someone whilst out playing boy racers, sorry, training in high speed pursuit, a few years ago?

Obviously setting the speed limit due to their own drivers inability to drive properly.

14. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    They did use some of that stretch, however they where on the B6254 near Over Kellett in north Lancashire, 4 Police in the car, one was the advanced instructor, giving instructions, one was driving and the other 2 observing waiting to drive another section of road, the black box in his police car showed the driver, had reached 104mph seconds before the fatal crash on the narrow winding country lane. I have ridden and drove on that road thousands of times over the years, and to reach those speeds is beyond reckless and dangerous, it is so narrow, many blind bends, always farm traffic and cyclists, there was actually 2 police cars on training, I recall the Prosecutors remarks saying, the road was peppered with hidden hazards, blind spots, entrances to properties, junctions, bends, dips and a hidden hump in the road, tragically the victim died the following day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Motorists are the low hanging fruit when it comes to revenue generation, wether it be speeding fines, parking charges, fuel tax and now we have these LEZ's cropping up everywhere. Our's went live last week and I read the council estimate to take in around £750k a month. Nice little earner that, all in the name of " clean air" and reducing environmental impact. Cobblers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    I read the other day that some "consultants" have concluded that when we no longer (pay through the nose to) use petrol/diesel theres going to be a £35 billion deficit.... no sh1t Sherlock!!!!

How about a "tyre tax" for these overweight, no exhaust polluting, electric replacement vehicles..... yeah why not.
    Naturally you really must consider, no not the money silly, the Environmental cost of this micro tyre rubber pollution........ we are all going to die otherwise o_O ...err:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Well people my original post outlined Police Forces intending using high performance vehicles to educate the driving/riding public regarding road safety, absolute horseradish, this article appeared in todays MCN, re North Yorkshire Police (NYP), if taken at face value the statement by NYP "the force previously struggled to engage with segments of the biking community" the newly acquired Kawasaki Ninja H2SX will hopefully allow us to do so", what a load of rubbish, if that is the real reason why purchase an unmarked 197bhp supercharged high performance machine costing £25,649, money well spent I think not.

thumbnail_IMG_1886.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  18. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    It won’t take them long to recover the £25k back using the bike on speeding patrol eh!

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Arf765

Arf765 Member

Feb 3, 2023
    Berkshire, uk

This is just the start of things to come & it’s how they try justify it, we just believe what they say it must be true hahahah

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    #20 Pegscraper, Mar 15, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
    This thread brought back memories of the Cat and Fiddle and this article that was screened on a TV program at the time. I was up there regularly on the Fireblade back then, as were many other bikers, keen to tackle one of the best scratching roads in the country. Not a good quality video but you get the idea of what was SOTA policing at the time. Things have moved on a bit since then!!:joy: This was before the days of the SPECS cameras which effectively killed the route for the "enthusiastic" rider.

I recorded the program on VHS tape at the time and still have it lying around somewhere.

• Like Like x 2