Battery Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by BonnieCat, Sep 28, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Hi Guys

Well as we all remember my bike fell over and landed on my foot. But whilst it was down on the ground could this have damaged the battery. The reason I ask is that I went to start it 30 mins ago and the starter motor never made a sound, just a sort of electrical clicking and the engine management light was flashing.

I just put a meter on the battery and it showed 9.5 volts. Also checked the Bonneville to compare and that showed 12.6 volts. So how in the space of 2 weeks has my battery gone flat. Have I been a numpty and left the parking light on. (Really doubt that as it’s been in my garage since getting back from Germany and I would have noticed it).

So guys any ideas, just a bad battery??

Anyway it’s on charge now. Let’s see tomorrow if it recovers.

BC

2. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Yes I have an optimate

3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Can you swap with another bike to check?

4. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Nikki, it's a new bike with a new battery so I'm just wondering if there's some kind of drain. Does it have an alarm ? Or any other electrical extras ?

5. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Hi Andy. No there’s no alarm. No other electrical things which could drain the battery. It has heated grips but they’ve been on from new and they’re Suzuki ones. It’s a mystery that’s why I was wondering if it was damaged whilst the bike was on its side

6. andypandy

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    See how you go in the morning then.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    I could possibly swap with the Bonnie, but I’ll see how the battery is tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    The battery is buggered. Just been to look at it and the red light is on on the Optimate.
    Well that one didn’t last long. I’ll order up a new one tomorrow.

• Like Like x 3
  9. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Nikki, I don’t know what side you fell on but have a look around the areas that got damaged and check none of the wiring has been exposed and is shorting out

10. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Nikki, I don’t know what side you fell on but have a look around the areas that got damaged and check none of the wiring has been exposed and is shorting out

11. andypandy

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    How old is it ? I thought it was new ?

12. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    The bike is not even a year old, so I’m certainly going to ask if I can get another battery under warranty

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Too bloody right! The dealers won’t know it’s been over so long as the lever has been replaced

14. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Result.

Went down to the dealer and without arguments, questions, trouble, I’ve got a new battery. Just doing a final charge before I put in the bike in a couple of hours time.
    This gives me time to take the Bonnie out for a little spin. It’s a nice day here today.
    BC

• Like Like x 10
  15. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    You enjoy Nikki as I’m in Greece with the sun bashing down so I don’t blame you

16. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Don’t rub it in Eric. But enjoy. You may be in for a shock weather wise. When you get back

17. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    The Wasp lives to buzz another day. Battery fully charged and back in the bike. Started first time. Happy days. :cool::cool:

Aren’t you guys impressed how techy I’ve been. (Surprised myself)

BC

• Like Like x 5
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  18. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    In our world of equality Nicki, we are not allowed to be surprised by anything!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Simon narb

Simon narb New Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Pembrokeshire
    Well, I have a quick story for you about batteries, went to start my Thunderbird and just heard a click,ahh dead battery, noticed no bars on the fuel gauge,so took a look at the voltage on trickle charger and it read 12.8v so I assumed that's fine,full beam worked ect, so did some reserch on tinternet and found a thread from some Triumph whiskid explaining that if the EMS sees no fuel, the starter motor will not turn the enjine over,some protection interlock,but the tank was at least half full,I then spoke to my local bike repair chappy and he told me he was 99% sure it was the battery,although it had 12.8v charge,took his word and bought a new battery,and away she went first turn,and the fuel bars came back to life,so there you are,if the battery voltage is not perfect,change it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1