Battery Help Please Now Sorted

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Stephen Martin, Feb 21, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Stephen Martin

Stephen Martin Senior Member

Aug 31, 2020
    Isle of Wight
    right went to start bike a week ago and although the pump primed as soon as I pressed the button nothing the lights on the speedo went out then wouldn't come back on. so I switched the oximiser from the other bike and its been charging since the green light on the charger came on the next day and has been on since. went out today uncovered the bike Bonneville se 2010 and the same as last time pump exc but nothing else no head lights although I can just get the parking light to come on. put a meter on the battery 12.8v so cleaned the connections but no different. put the meter on again still around 12.8v but when I put the key in and turn on the ignition the meter goes haywire flashing between 1.v and around 4.asomething volts then as soon as I turn the ignition off it goes back to 12.8 ish volts. do you think the battery is fooked or something else. thanks in advance for any help.

2. Stephen Martin

Aug 31, 2020
    Isle of Wight
    thanks unfortunately the other bikes battery is somewhat smaller being a 125 so looks like ill have to go battery hunting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Stephen Martin

Aug 31, 2020
    Isle of Wight
    so have bit the bullet and ordered a new battery will update when it arrives as to whether that sorts it out. fingers crossed

• Like Like x 2
  4. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    all i can say is if the battery is reading 12.8 the battery should be good it should definitely crank the bike over

5. Stephen Martin

Aug 31, 2020
    Isle of Wight
    Yeah it does until I turn the ignition on then it just drops

6. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Its not just the voltage, it’s also the ability for the battery to provide the cranking amps. Arguably the second bit is the most important.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Arno triple

Arno triple Senior Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    Nope, battery died fore sure. Replace and enjoy the ride!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Stephen Martin

Aug 31, 2020
    Isle of Wight
    Thanks for your reply's guys much appreciated

• Like Like x 1
  9. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    How did it go? Bet it was battery after all.

10. Stephen Martin

Aug 31, 2020
    Isle of Wight
    Battery ordered awaiting delivery hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday although living on the isle of wight although it shouldn't make a difference in delivery time it sometimes does. I will update at the earliest opportunity.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Do you not have a motor spares shop nearby, where they nearly all carry a resistance? tester which will tell you definitely if your battery is goosed.
    Cheers,.Ken.

12. Stephen Martin

Aug 31, 2020
    Isle of Wight
    Will find out if battery is goosed when the new one turns up, keeping trips out to the minimum at the moment

13. Stephen Martin

Aug 31, 2020
    Isle of Wight
    Just had delivery update sometime Wednesday so maybe able to update Wednesday if it is delivered in time if not Thursday.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Stephen Martin

Aug 31, 2020
    Isle of Wight
    Battery arrived today :) fitted choke out clutch in pressed starter chuga chuga vroom very happy. For good measure I put the meter on the old battery showed over 13v connected an old camping light and when turned on the light flashed on for a second then went off and the meter started going up and down like when it was on the bike so wouldn't even power a light.

• Like Like x 6
  15. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Surrey BC Canada
    make sure you FULLY charged the first time (2nd time if you already did)...maybe sure it is FULLY CHARGED...

Go for a ride for a good hour thru the twisty or do the boring way (hook up to a tender)