Battery Back From The Dead

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Hogster, Sep 9, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hogster

Hogster Active Member

May 12, 2016
    Devon
    Left my parking light on over night on the Daytona and flattened the battery. Will an optimiser eventually bring it back after a few days or does it need a bigger jolt. It's been on the opti now for two days and the lights still red?

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    It depends how old the battery is, and what condition it's in. Time will tell mate ..........................

I would be inclined to check the connections to the battery just to make sure the juice is flowing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    How old is it ? what type of battery is it ? Std wet ? Gel ? AGM ?

A lot of batteries become unreliable / will not recover if run dead flat

Check the voltage on the battery if its below 11 volts bin it its cheaper in the long run.

You never know how long it will last or when it will let you down ..... or give you problems with starting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    #4 Rocker, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    I did a similar thing and got lucky the battery recovered, leave it connected for a couple of days then see if she starts if all good take it for a run then when you get back reconnect the optomizer for a cycle

5. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    same thing happened on my old cbr optimiser worked a treat after i refilled with acid,you could also get. Voltmeter and check both battery and charger,saying that batteries can be bought relatively cheaply nowadays.

6. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    all i know is if you are having probs with it in this warmish weather it will def fail come the winter

7. Hogster

Hogster Active Member

May 12, 2016
    Devon
    3 days and not a flicker, dont have a volt meter but put the opti on my winter hack that has been stood up since may and within 5 mins the green light came on so the the opti is fine. Time to source a new battery then more questions now which type Gel, wet or AGM.

8. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Last battery I replaced I bought an AGM from Yuasa, should last a decent time.

9. KevinP

KevinP New Member

Feb 16, 2017
    Lancashire
    Leave it charging for a week or more, it may still come back to full charge after the 'descaling/pulse action' has worked it's magic. Meanwhile get a spare so that you can ride, and then you will have back-up for the next time.

10. Hogster

Hogster Active Member

May 12, 2016
    Devon
    It was fooked , took into battery shop and tested it after 3 days of trickle. Bought a new yuasa for £60 and a smart charger for £30 it was on special!

• Like Like x 1