Basic Survival

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Wire-Wheels, Oct 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Lately my home state of California has been hit with a lot of disasters. Fires, earthquakes, etc. Fortunately, the Wire-Wheels homestead is intact. But we are becoming more and more aware of the possibilities. We already had a emergency generator since 2009. This year we have been taking further precautions. The Mrs. and I now have "go bags" near our bed in case something goes sideways. We have food storage in a ready to load milk crate, along with other things in case of disaster. Anyone else making this kind of preparation out there ? I do not want to be a full blown survivalist, but some sensible prep. seems like a good idea these days. Your thoughts are welcome. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

You really show ur full stash? Silly boy...

;):joy:

3. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Those fires can and do spread at an incredible rate.
    Your very lives depend on accurate information being released as early as possible to residents, including those who might have only the slightest chance of being affected, by those emergency services looking at the bigger picture in order that you have time to consider your options in an informed and proportionate way.
    I can't imagine the horror of getting it wrong, makes wet and grey England seem not so bad after all!

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    There's something to be said for holding all important documents in some sort of deposit box or safe storage location if there is any chance of a disaster in your area ;);)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #5 Wire-Wheels, Oct 28, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    We have a list on the refrigerator of the things we need to take in the case we have to evacuate. I also keep my truck well equipped with supplies. We have come close to evacuation twice. But it has not happened yet. One time we were eating some serious smoke for about three days. This year they have added a new wrinkle. One of the power companies up north got sued because thier power lines went down in a big wind and started a huge fire. NOW all the power companies want to cut power every time we have big winds or a fire ! CRAZY ! I have a 8,000watt generator standing by in my garage. Just every day life anymore. :D

As for the guns and ammunition ? I've never felt the need for them. Nothing out thier that scares me all THAT much. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    I think having prepared plans put you ahead of most JD.
    Even living in city, I have water and dry food stored that I update quarterly and many people ask me why.
    I feel for you and also many Australians that have Bush fires as they can be so devastating. Do you store rain water to help dampen your surroundings if needed?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Alternatively they could spend the money and route them underground :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GaleForceEight

GaleForceEight Noble Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    I ‘roll my own’, so I only have to enter completed rounds onto my ticket for the number to possess.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #9 Wire-Wheels, Oct 28, 2019
    What rain water ? What is rain ? According to my rain gauge we have had 1.72 inches since Jan.1,2019. My telephone and mobile phone and email all went off last night at 9:15 telling me they are shutting the power at my cabin 40 miles away due to high winds and fire danger. Here at my main house, power is on. This is life in drought stricken areas of the world. Got to go up to the cabin today to put anti freeze in the drains. It is supposed to get down to 17-20°f at night [elev.6320'] this week but, dry as a bone. Fun times ! How about a little rain please. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Worse than I had thought JD, a lot dryer than when I was there in ‘99. Wishing you well

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #11 Wire-Wheels, Oct 28, 2019
    Never seen it quite this bad. Been here since 1945 [local native]. All the right wing politicians say there is no climate change. I am non-political, but I think they are sucking air on that one. Just had another fire spring up in West L.A. this morning. We have respirators and goggles on order in case it breaks out here. Already have my papers in order and ready to go. Not fooling around with it this year. Getting my "ducks in a row". I'm getting too old to run very fast …:) …J.D.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    We have a genny, plenty of fuel, and a rotated supply of canned goods. Coal/firewood is always 12 months in advance. Plenty of dried goods. Water supply is a natural spring.

We get power failures... So have a gas stove, and the ever trusty Trangia, plus outside facilities and Dutch ovens.

Plenty of food on the hoof, as long as there's ammo and we have salt, we won't run out of meat. Venison is pretty good for you too. :)

We get snowed in from time to time, temperatures down to minus 28 the other year. It's usually about +20c in the house, quite a difference range... :D I do know how to stoke a fire!

Paperwork is duplicated, two folders, either side of the house, plus copied to online storage.

I usually have a few edc items at all times too. Each vehicle has a standby kit, food, cook stove, water, survival blankets, folding shovel etc.

Nothing wrong with being prepared, is there?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    I just keep my "faster'n'light" shit hot space ship in the garage so if the shit hits the fan I can just zoom off to a more peaceful planet.
    spaceship.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Gis a lift:p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw