Base And Midlayers

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by gazzatheyid, Dec 12, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gazzatheyid

gazzatheyid Senior Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Hey guys (and girls),

Just wondering what everyone's go to base and mid layers are?

I've bought merino wool base layers and generally have a fleece as the midlayer. When it gets much colder I found this isn't enough to keep me warm on long rides. So I've put a thin fleece jacket on top so you have three thinish layers and this seems to work for a time (but not after an 1 hour).

I've recently bought a thick Regatta Sherpa fleece (very thick at 440gsm) and going to try that as my mid. I'm also considering a thin puffa type jacket if that doesn't work.

I'm not convinced you have to spend hundreds on layering with this and that technology. I'm not paying silly money for a heated vest either.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Adrian Braithwaite

Adrian Braithwaite Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Kirkhamgate
    After spending on all those layers, wouldn't a second hand heated vest which is controllable in all weathers and without the same bulk, be a better option?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Go for the heated option, with a controller then you can ride in comfort for as long as you want to without the bulk of numerous layers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    A fairly cheap down filled ribbed jacket as a mid layer. Works really well and packs really small too as an added bonus. I have a very expensive rukka jacket and trousers, thats what they give you as a liner.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. gazzatheyid

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Cost of them wouldn't get near a branded vest and wear the fleeces casually anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. gazzatheyid

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Yer heard a lot of people take the down option. Most of the liners don't seem up to much and often sacrificed for a better midlayer from what I've read.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I swear by it now, and those type of jackets can be found cheap as they're very popular. The trousers may be harder to find but I got some with the rukka trousers

• Like Like x 1
  8. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    One of the warmest mid layers I have is a cheap Crane cycling jacket from Aldi. However, I've had a Keiss heated vest for three years now and nothing comes close to that.
    There's a big difference between putting on a layer that feels like it might keep you warm and something designed to actually heat up and prevent you from getting cold. :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. ColoradoManny

ColoradoManny Member

Oct 25, 2020
    Denver, CO
    In Colorado we say that "cotton kills" because when it gets wet you simply can't get it warm again. So I use the same base layers as when snowshoeing or skiing - merino wool. Not cheap stuff, but in my experience it lasts 10-20 years if cared for.

Surprisingly, I have an old 3 layer Olympia touring jacket that is the warmest riding jacket I've ever had. I've ridden down to 12F (-11C) in that jacket and been fine with just a plain dress shirt on underneath. My suspicion is that they actually focused on making it really windproof instead of spending too much effort on the insulation itself.

I learned the hard way that riding a motorcycle with the old style waffle pattern "long johns" is a real bad idea on a bike. Not because I got cold necessarily, but because sitting on the waffle pattern really starts to hurt after a couple hours! :sob:

• Like Like x 3
  10. neilb

neilb Active Member

Oct 8, 2019
    Billericay, Essex
    I’ve used a Keis heated vest for years. No matter how many base layers you put, nothing will come close to having real heat next to your body. I also have a battery pack so I can use it when watching football matches at my local club in the winter months. So, not just for motorcycling. Well worth the investment, mate.

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Biketek heated jacket for me. Had it for years. Microwire elements inside a thin quilted polyester shell.

Base layer cheapo polyester running top and trousers from Decathlon. About £15 the pair. Never been cold with this combination. Usually have to turn off the jacket after a while. Even on low setting I can get too warm.

I've used this heated jacket on 3 or 4 triumph models. I fitted it with a powerlet plug and used the auxillary socket on the bike. Tried the same when I bought my Tracer. Had to change the powerlet plug for a conventional car sized one for the yamaha. Blew the fuse. Yamaha's auxillary socket is only rated at 2 amps. :( Jacket pulls 90 watts requiring a 7.5 amp fuse. Now have a pig tail fitted directly to the battery.

Highly recommend heated clothing.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    #12 Iceman, Dec 17, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    I'm with those that recommend the Merino Wool base layers, I say this as having used them in the past on some severe Winter Mountaineering trips, tempretures on some mountains reached -30 and these coped well. For riding I use RST base layers summer and winter (not severe) I'm not that brave. We are all different regarding the kit we chose and ride with, myself I only ever wear one piece leathers, I know that's not everyone's taste, however I feel it affords me maximum protection, if it rains I have a good quality lightweight windproof zip up jacket, it packs so small you wouldn't believe it, along with a pair of trousers with full length zips and both are 100% waterproof, these fit under the seat pod on my RS, I can get them both on in around a minute. Aldi do a range of Merino Wool base layers and they had them in last week, and reasonably priced. I guess from what you say that you are going down the textile route, if so a good waterproof armoured jacket and trousers, a Merino Wool base layer, the jacket should come with a removable liner so you would not need a mid layer, a lightweight windproof top to go over you textile jacket, and thin balaclava for your head, the combination should keep you warm all day, it's the extremities that suffer first (hands, feet, head). Aldi also do some waterproof textile motorcycle gloves, if you don't already have a pair let me know your hand size and I may have a new pair (£10), I only use leather race gloves, although I always have heated grips on my motorcycles, also good socks are essential, there is some great heated kit out there, however it comes at a cost, and you say you are on a budget. I would stay away from anything cotton if it gets wet or damp through sweat etc, it will dramatically and negatively affect your core temperature, another forum member quoted "cotton kills" and that's true, more for the mountain environment than motorcycling however, but it will still chill you to the bone and offers no thermal protection whatsoever. Ride safe all.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. gazzatheyid

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Thanks for the offer and in depth info, really useful. Yer I heard cotton is a rubbish base for the reasons you've so well identified. It's hard to get a steer on the quality of merino base layers as there doesn't seem to be a measurement on most sites.

Well my merino, sheerpa and jacket (lined) started to fail an hourish in on Monday evening. Wasn't really cold just stared to feel it creeping in. Temperature was about 7c so not that cold either. Hands were OK with Merlin outlast and heated grips.

As mentioned above I have an Aldi base wafer thin cycle jacket so might add that in the mix and as suggested stick my wind/waterproof jacket over if it starts to really bite. That's 5 layers in total!

And if that doesn't work I might put my hand in my pocket for some heated gear!

• Like Like x 3
  14. Vegan Flea

Vegan Flea Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2020
    Norfolk
    I've got a base layer 2 piece from Aldi which is a stretch fit and lined with roubaix and a silky type outer. Very comfortable and east to get leathers on and off with, well designed too with mesh panels on the arm pits etc.

I've got a Merino wool one too but the above is my preference. I've been waiting for Aldi to supply them again for about 4 years but probably have missed them.

15. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire

16. meepmeep

meepmeep Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2019
    Herts
    M&S merino wool top, Uniqlo top, then another non-cotton. Old Hein Gericke jacket on top including its liner. Not really over-padded and kept me warm on a 2 hour ride at 6 deg. Will be stepping up to Rukka and possibly a heated base this year.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Greywolf55

Greywolf55 Noble Member

Oct 4, 2019
    Duluth ,Ga
    I just picked up a set of Dianese D Core Aero shirt/pants on sale for the hot and humid Atlanta summer days , I have 3 of their suits

dainese_d_core_aero set.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  18. Greywolf55

Greywolf55 Noble Member

Oct 4, 2019
    Duluth ,Ga
    I also have the Heat out set which work well and are much less expensive , use their boxers too when I am going with jeans

heat_out_cool set.jpg

• Like Like x 3