Bar End Mirror Plastic Spacer Ring

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Strimmer, Oct 4, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Strimmer

Strimmer New Member

Jun 21, 2017
    England
    I have bought a pair of OEM bar end mirrors from ChrisT70, they used to be on his Thruxton R, thanks Chris.

If you buy the OEM mirrors, they come with two thicknesses of round, black plastic spacers so the same style of mirrors are adaptable to varies bikes in the Modern Classic Range.

My s/h mirrors came with the thick, round, black plastic spacer, unfortunately I need the thin, round, black plastic spacers to mount the mirrors onto my T120.

Anybody got a pair of thin ones they are no longer using or need?, happy to offer some 'beer tokens' and pay for postage, currently bodged on with some plastic hose pipe taking up the clearance.

Best regards,

Strimmer

2. Tricolore

Tricolore Active Member

Jun 24, 2016
    Midlands
    I may have some Rizoma ones, do you have a photo of what you need ?

3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    If you don't manage to source some proper ones how about nipping to B&Q (other diy stores are available) and buying some plastic pipe of the correct thickness and cutting/ shaping to suit.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Strimmer

Strimmer New Member

Jun 21, 2017
    England
    Gentlemen,

Thank you for the collective ideas and offer of alternative spacers.

I was in the local dealers today and managed to measure the thickness of the 'thin' spacers I need v's the 'thick' spacers I got with the mirrors.

The 'thin's'are 3mm thick whereas the 'thick's' are 4mm. These spacers are annular rings, it is the wall thickness of the rings that need reducing, not the width of the rings, and the rings are not full circle, they are approximately three quarters of a full ring so would be very difficult to mount into a laths chuck without crushing them or changing their diameters, so tonight it will be out with the Dremel with grinder attachment and attacking the 'thick's' to make them 'thins'!

I'm certain they will not be beautiful when I am finished but as long as they are functional that will be fine since the spacers are completely hidden by the mirrors when they are installed.

Whilst at the dealers I did enquire if they were available to buy as spares:

'Yes' said the man,

'How much?' said I,

'£15 plus VAT per side' he said

'Fcuk off' I said, I used to work in the plastic injection moulding business and these spacers would have cost less than a penny each from a gang mould....indeed, the packaging for the rings would cost more than the rings themselves!

I appreciate the gang mould would have cost Mr. Bloor many thousands of pounds but having spent £10,000 of my pounds on the T120 and the fact he is already a multi, multi millionaire and the price of the mould would already have been amortised across the many thousands of spacers that will have been made I point blankly refused to pay this extortionate price.

I have 'heard' many other Triumph owners grumbling about the outragious cost of spares and accessories for these fabulous machines, but there is a limit to how much even the most die hard Triumph owners will go, Mr. Bloor, please take heed, but with what he has already accrued I do not think he will be unduly worried and that, is a real shame.

Best regards,

Strimmer

• Like Like x 2
  5. Strimmer

Strimmer New Member

Jun 21, 2017
    England
    PLEASE NOTE:

Thin bar end mirror spacer rings no longer needed, but thank you for everybodies inputs and suggestions.

Dremel + abrasive wheel + thick spacer rings + steady hand = thin spacer rings!

The mirrors now fit perfectly and very securely on the bars.

Best regards,

Strimmer

• Like Like x 2