Bar End Mirror Issue !! Please Help

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Jewksey, Jan 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jewksey

Jewksey Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Northampton-shire
    hi everyone

I'm looking for a bit of advice on how to mount bar end mirrors and before i get ribbed for this i'm not a complete idiot :)

problem i have is i bought some genuine mirrors from eBay but and they come with bar ends to mount along with them but i don't think they are the correct ones (fitted with rubber bungs)

after a few phone calls triumph ( who are coming back to me) have advised they mount directly on the original bar end weights

has anyone else fitted them like this as i cant seem to see any fitted in this way as ive never heard of it done like that before

excuse my ignorance :)

i have a 2009 speed triple 1050 btw

any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    The Street Triple didn't have bar end weights so the mirror kits include them (see item 4 below). I believe the Speed Triple comes with the bar end weights, which is why the mirror kits for the Speed Triple does not include them.

If you don't have the correct ends you could just buy the ends for the Street Triple, I'm pretty sure they will fit the Speed Triple.

Capture.PNG

Fowlers do the part for £4.40 (the above is World of Triumph price) - https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/view/A9630169

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about the compatibility of the bar end between the Street and Speed Triple.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jewksey

Dec 10, 2019
    Northampton-shire
    Thank madmrb

ah ok that makes sense i've taken my ( eBay ) bar ends off and there doesn't seem to me any internal threads or mounts from that pic it looks like they screw into a internal section inside the bar ?

ive got gen bars etc so i wonder if this is just s speed thing ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Yes inside the standard Triumph bars there is a treaded mounting point for the bar ends. If you are using third party bars, or your bars have been modified to remove the bar end mounts, then you will have to get other bar ends with the same diameter.

If you do still have the threads in the bars then I fairly sure the bar ends I mentioned previously will be compatible judging by this...
    Capture.PNG

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jewksey

Dec 10, 2019
    Northampton-shire
    ok great ill take bars ends back off as there was a raised section inside around an inch back but i didn't feel any threads but i may have missed it

they are magura bars and say triumph on them in the centre in usual way so pritty sure there gen bars

thank you not a fan of mounting with rubber bungs

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Me neither, some people drill out the standard bar end mountings just to save a couple of quid, sends shivers down my spine anytime I read that someone has done it :scream:

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Jewksey

Dec 10, 2019
    Northampton-shire
    yeah that what i worried about as i genuinely didn't see any threads down there which is not good - was about an inch back though so maybe i just missed it - hopefully !!

Triumph said earlier the thought it has wights and the mirrors mounted direct to them which would make sense but went away to confirm

just want to get them done now lol :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Hopefully the threads are still intact.

The Triumph bar end mirrors look great IMO, I have them on my Street Triple

IMG_20191022_175016155_Cropped.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. Jewksey

Dec 10, 2019
    Northampton-shire
    yeah they look spot on and i do have them mounted curently i just do not like rubber mounts for these thing and yours looks so much nicer

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jewksey

Dec 10, 2019
    Northampton-shire
    Hiya everyone just thought I’d update the feed as there is a bit of a twist to it

after taking off and investigating the bars it had. It been drilled out so after talking to super knowledgeable chap at triumph and various conversation it turns out the 08-10 speedy (like mine) has tapered bars and doesn’t have a fitting kit at all and the mirrors essentially slide on top of original bar ends so after purchasing some std originals from triumph it all went amazingly

just thought I’d update for anyone else that runs into this as an issue

9CC382DF-7854-432B-891F-617EE2199A92.jpeg

CC2592CC-4884-41AA-8D73-9D641D19F5B0.jpeg

412BAA46-4143-4222-BC96-16297ABD1138.jpeg

FBB69551-ED27-4439-8FB6-6DB841FC72F4.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  11. Banksy

Banksy New Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Staffordshire
    Sorry if I missed it in this thread but can someone help me by telling me how to remove the bar end weights, please? I have removed the thread and expected the weights to fall away but they are fixed solid?

12. Banksy

Banksy New Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Staffordshire
    Sorry if I missed it in this thread but can someone help me by telling me how to remove the bar end weights, please? I have removed the thread and expected the weights to fall away but they are fixed solid?

13. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    #13 Ducatitotriumph, Jul 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    screw in the bolt a few threads and give the bolt head a tap.
    This will free up the "wedge" that locks into the end weight.
    It'll probably pull out as one then.
    Pull on the weight and not the bolt as it'll lock in again and don't fully remove the screw again!
    You will leave the "cam" inside of the bar if you do!!!

• Like Like x 4
  14. Banksy

Banksy New Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Staffordshire
    Thanks for the speedy reply, that’s really appreciated. I’ll let you know how I get on

15. Banksy

Banksy New Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Staffordshire
    Quick update - that worked a treat, thank you for your advice

• Like Like x 4