Banjo Bolt Size Mystery & Where Are These Bolts?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Fenix, Jun 7, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Fenix

Fenix Member

Jun 7, 2019
    Kuwait
    Friends, I'm new to wrenching and trying to work on my 2005 America. In carrying out the annual maintenance, I've come across a few mysteries I was hoping someone could help me with:

1. Banjo Bolt Size: The 14mm socket is too small and the 15mm socket is too big. My calipers agree that these are something like a 14.5mm, but 14.5mm sockets don't seem to exist. Since the project is to check the tightness of all these banjo bolts, the handy crescent wrench is not going to do. What do you guys do?

2. Where is the rear engine mounting bolt nut? I'm guessing it is back behind something, and not necessarily committed to taking the whole bike apart just to check its tightness (most of the bolts have turned out to be close to the correct torque already, anyway), but it would be nice to know where I might find this eventually.

3. Where is the Downpipe Joint Pipe Clamp Bolt? Been looking everywhere for this and no luck. Any clues?

4. Torque for the torque-less? I'm working off of the Haynes Manual and it lists torque settings for many bolts, but not for everything. Like I said, I'm new to the garage -- so new that common sense is not yet common for me when I'm there. I would really rather be tightening all the bolts to their "proper" torque, but I'm sure that is not usual. How tight is tight for bolts where torque is not specified? What do you guys do?

Thanks, in advance!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    You will probably find its a 9/16" AF...and if your a complete novice just buy a decent torque wrench.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Fenix

Fenix Member

Jun 7, 2019
    Kuwait
    Thanks. Got the torque wrench. Only have metric sockets, so I'll have to go out and get a 9/16" socket.

• Like Like x 1
  4. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    #4 t552, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    Rule of thumb re torque settings / thread dia
    6mm 10Nm
    8mm 20Nm
    10mm 40Nm
    You will not be a million miles off and safe.
    Also triumph banjo bolts have rounded points to the flats. Full-hex sockets help, rather than bi-hex.

• Useful Useful x 2
  5. Fenix

Fenix Member

Jun 7, 2019
    Kuwait
    Thanks! That's very helpful.

Fenix

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #6 Wire-Wheels, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Many thanks. Had my America apart adding a Pretech caliper. Dropped in to see what I could find out about that fitting and found this post. Got what I need. Just had to go dig in the other tool cabinet. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 1