Bad News For My Beautiful Bonnie

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by joe mc donald, Nov 26, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Have had to put my 59er Bonnie back on the road. Bum. Took my old Honda cb500 out the other rode about a mile to work it gave an almighty bang. It hasn't started since. So had to wake the Bonnie of course late for work. Now my pride and joy is filthy really filthy. I'm Gutted.
    Regards
    Joe.

2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Duckadildundee.
    O'h mate I didn't want to get it all dirty. Stupid old honda spoilt my great plan.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  3. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Ooops, hope you get it sorted one way or the other Joe.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

Well there’sa fucker and no mistake... must have been a Friday afternoon special

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Chaps yes a real bummer. Think I got to try and find another cheap bike. I will look at the honda but I think its gone. I took the plugs out and it looks like the pistons or something has been hitting them as they were squashed up tight. So that looks terminal. Still all sent to try us. And thanks.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

Cam chain? Time to whip the cover off and see if it’s intact in the valve area...

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Sorry to hear about that Joe :(
    Hope you get something sorted mate :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Bad news Joe.

Have you looked for another engine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    That's way off plan Joe!
    I also think cam chain is a good bet, a lot of them are crafted from Primula soft cheese, after all.
    Honda, who'd have one!!
    Get your Bonnie back in the warm asap mate!
    Curly

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    At least you had the bonnie to get you to work, I bet it was glad of being taken out.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Never had a cam chain problem with the Hondas that I’ve owned and I’ve owned quite a few since 1966

In fact the 1984 Honda CB700 that I’ve owned for about 9 years has done 45,000+miles and still on it’s original cam chain.
    Dam that’s put the kiss of death on it :mad:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Sorry to hear this Joe, sounds like the racer in you is coming through what with thrashing that old CB500 until it went bang! :p
    Just kidding mate, hope you get something sorted soon, wouldn't the 675 fair better in this weather that the Bonnie in the meantime?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Sorry to hear your sad news Joe. Hopefully the Honda will be an easier repair then you think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    That's a bit of a shit Joe, sorry to hear that, but when all is said and done they're just machines o_Oo_O:weary_face::weary_face::sob::sob::broken_heart:

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Sorry to hear about the Honda Joe. I hope you can get her back up again soon, so after a good cleanup, Put Bonnie back to bed for the season!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    That's a shame for both bikes!
    I know how you feel - Tiger is filthy as it went in for a service on Friday, was ridden back Saturday and also out again today all in foul weather. But at least it's a Tiger - they're meant to get dirty! o_O

The loan Bonneville wasn't so lucky! :eek:

b1.jpg b.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  17. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

Yeah, c’mon @joe mc donald, get it stripped... you need to service our curiosity!!!

:D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

hmm, I didn’t read that part close enough

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    I have known valve heads come off ........ back in 1992 a customers Mercedes with a fresh service i.e. new plugs etc. suffered a failure. I took the "new" plugs back out and one cylinder was positively hammered.

Joe do a valve clearance check and all should be revealed if its in the top :p

If its a rod or crank issue i.e. bottom end, then its not worth worrying for what it is other than a replacement 2nd hand engine

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Thanks all for the help and advice. You know I fitted new plugs and reset the carbs today and hey presto away it went and purring like a kitten. I can't believe it. Thinking I never checked the plugs before so probably someone had closed them up for some reason. The bang I think might have been the starter as it now sticks and I have to rock the bike back and forth to free it. So thanks all my beautiful spirit of 59 Bonnie will get a wash this weekend and polished to the nines. I think the cb will be good but time will tell. Yes I will start looking for another cheap doner just in case. And as our Bad Billy mentioned I have spoke to my boy and said I need the 675 back just in case so sometime I have to pop along and bleed the brakes and bring it home. Thanks to all.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1