Bad Big Boy

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Old phart phred, Sep 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    #1 Old phart phred, Sep 28, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    On November 17, this steam locomotive will be passing through a property i own. I think it's the biggest ever built at 762,000 lbs. I have seen it's little brother 4-6-6-4 challenger twice. These have been converted to run on fuel oil.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Pacific_Big_Boy

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Oz228

Oz228 Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2019
    Inverness
    Are you not worried about it making a mess of your carpets when it passes through your living room?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Old phart phred

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    • Like Like x 7
  4. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    A magnificent beast she is!

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Never get that smoke smell out of the curtains! :joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I think I have been in the cab of this machine. If it is the one I think it is, it sat on display for many years in Pomona, Ca. . Some years ago they took it away for restoration. Seeing this thing in person is an experience. It is just too big to wrap your mind around. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Old phart phred

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    quick, close that valve with the red handle or she will blow up 100_0350.JPG

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Old Phart Phread.
    Thanks for sharing those beastie's They are cracking machines.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Old phart phred

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    I would encourage anybody in the northwest or southwest USA through the central plains to check the running schedule online.tbis is one monster bada$$ machine that must been seen to be believed. Most stops you can walk right up to it. Or at least you could a few years ago.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Would like to see it run. We had a Challenger through here some years back. Fortunately, I was off work that day and got to see it go by. Maybe now that I am retired I can make a point to see BB next time it is down our way. Great excuse to get one of the bikes out and put the camera in the tank bag and go ! ...J.D.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Peeps aren't they just works of art. Terrific machines. We do get the odd ones here out doing a run and I do love to see them if they come to a station near me. Not as big but just as beautiful. I am not a spotter or anything just love our history.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    I used to get footplate rides on these - the narrow gauge railway that operates between Ravenglass and Eskdale in the Lake district. My ex FIL was the manager of the company. Added bonus was getting there on the bike, riding over the Hardknott/Wrynose pass!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  13. Old phart phred

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #14 Wire-Wheels, Oct 3, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    Thanks Phred. I'll pursue that. Wanted to share one of the best train experiences ever. I got to ride the Durango & Silverton RR in 2014. Worth every penny. Day started sunny and I came home in a pouring rain in an open train car with coal dust in my hair, eyes, etc. Was great though. Here is a pic. ...J.D.

IMG_7003.JPG

• Like Like x 7
  15. Old phart phred

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    Durango is on my bucket list, also the narrow gage, that runs out of Chama NM. and ride the million dollar highway amoung others in that area

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I have wanted to do the one at Chalma and Toltec myself. Also one near Clarkdale, Arizona on my bucket list. Trouble is my bucket is getting pretty old. I figure I am going to have to see what I can in the next year or two. ...J.D.

BTW: 3 Big Boy stops scheduled in my area. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I used to drive steam trains when I was a kid:cool:

My dad was involved with these guys, and spent many a Sunday running steam trains around this track in Paisley in the 70's. Went back last year and some of the old boys remembered me:p

My dad would sit behind me as we ran around the track, but I was allowed to run the diesels by myself. All the other kids had to pay to ride behind the trains, and I got to drive them:blush:

• Like Like x 5
  18. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #18 Wire-Wheels, Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Here is 4014 "Big Boy" southbound, nearing Cajon Summit Oct. 10. Sorry for the odd angle on this shot. After driving up there and waiting two hours my shot was just about to be blocked by a train passing the other way. Standing on a wall, leaning on a sign post, I had to use a long shot before my shot was blocked. Telephoto came in handy. ...J.D.

4014 Big Boy.JPG

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Saw that problem once before with a cracking photo.... of the wrong nearside train :joy::joy:

20. Old phart phred

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    JD glad you got to experience that beast on cajon pass where it was pounding out the hp! Woo hoo