Back Pain

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Number 11, Aug 25, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Number 11

Number 11 New Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Northants
    Hi all I'm new here so be gentle. I'm in the process of trying to get back into bikes after a long while away. I struggle with lower back issues but I desperately want a 07/08 ish speedtriple. Does anyone on here ride with back issues, how do you get on and how hard do you find it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Had a "dodgy back" for 40 odd years but nothing too serious.
    Personally I found the sit-up riding position of a Multistrada I had for a few years just as uncomfortable as a sports bike riding position, so being too upright is not always a good thing. I find the SpeedTriple a good compromise, not too much weight on the wrists but far enough forward to take weight off the lower back. An '08 SprintST 1050 I had for about 5 years was also comfortable if you want something a bit more touring. Suspension on the SpeedTriple can be quite firm (especially the R version) so could feel jarring on the back without some modification. SprintST was softer but less "flickable".

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Number 11

Number 11 New Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Northants
    Can I ask what year your speedtriple is. I'm looking at an 07 and a 10 plate not sure which way to go. I've had a quick go on the naked bmw rocket ship which is a similar riding position and that wasn't to bad over a short distance, like you say not to upright. I'm not sure if theres any difference between the suspension between the 07 and 10 plate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

From 2008 Speed Triple had a 50mm longer seat, might give you a bit of extra wiggle room. I think they upgraded the padding too. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Number 11

Number 11 New Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Northants
    Interesting I didn't realise the 08 onwards had a longer seat,that would make a difference maybe that's the one to look for. Maybe I need to save about more

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Number 11
    There are lots of things you can do. First get the bike and see if you can wangle a comfort seat out of the dealer. If not there is lots out there. Get some progressive suspension i recommend Hagon they will build suspension to suit you tell them about your problems then you can invest in a weight lifter belt or similar you can even get heated clothing for most bikes these days. Then you start slow and steady till the back gains some strength. I do believe Corbin do seats with removable back rests not cheap but very good don't know if they cater for your model or not you would have to ask. And welcome to the family. Then there is the thunderbird quite comfortable and can be set up like a couch.
    Joe

• Like Like x 2
  7. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Mine is a 2015 94R, so Ohlins suspension, which I feel a bit on the firm side on bumpy roads if you have a back issue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Betty123

Betty123 New Member

Jun 23, 2018
    Northants
    I bought an Airmax cushion, that made riding more comfortable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    I ride a 2005 speed, and have lower back issues. I agree with Col_C, the slightly forward position is comfortable enough, suspension can be on the firm side. I did several long journeys on it without problems. Last year it was 2000 miles in seven days.
    20200921_093656.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  10. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    My back can also give me some pain whilst riding, I find wearing a body belt helps.

• Like Like x 1