Avon Trailrider Tyres

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Mark Shepherd, Mar 4, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mark Shepherd

Mark Shepherd New Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Hampshire
    Hi. I was wondering whether anyone has tried the Avon TrailRiders on a Bonneville as an all purpose tyre which allows for a bit more grip on non-tarmac surfaces? I've read plenty of reports on how good the AM26 RoadRiders are but was also curious about any feedback on the TrailRiders.

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I used my T100 + AM26's on gravel and dried mud trails and they were excellent.

3. Mark Shepherd

Mark Shepherd New Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Hampshire
    Hi. That's good to know. My stock Metzelers are not ready to change yet (unless I choose to) but I am planning a few trips in 2018 and am doing a bit of forward planning/investigation. Many thanks for the response.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Unless you are on proper knobblies and doing a LOT of off roading the advantage of dual purpose tyres has more to do with aesthetics than performance. Avon quote a 90/10 road to rough usage for the Trail Rider but its wet/dry road performance won’t equal that of AM26/Michelin Pilot Activ which will in turn not quite equal the off road advantage of the Trails.
    You just need to be honest with yourself about your riding mix or accept the compromise of looking well ‘ard from the comfort of your waterlogged ditch. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    I've got them on my GS,good tyres.
    Never had any problems with them

• Like Like x 2
  6. Scrambled head

Scrambled head Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2019
    Sussex
    Thinking of trying these tyres on my scrambler 1200 when the OE tyres have cried enough, they get very good reviews.
    I am a fairly fast road rider so thought these open up the road capabilities of the bike.
    They have been out a while now anyone that’s used them got any views?

7. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    After a talk with a nice man at Melksham. Am going to be using them on my Tiger for my 2 months travels outside Europe where the roads are mostly loose gravel. Wet weather road grip is meant to be good but i wouldn't use them in the mud. They're not meant for that.

8. Scrambled head

Scrambled head Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2019
    Sussex
    Ok had these Avon trail riders on for a couple of hundred miles now.
    They really suit the bike if progressive riding is your thing as it is mine, I have no interest in taking my expensive bike off road!
    My confidence in this amazing bike was already high but now it’s off the scale.
    Hope they last a reasonable mileage, and feel like they do now when they’re worn.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    I have had mine for a while now, had no problems with grip on the road in any conditions and they give that extra bit of confidence if there is some shit or gravel on the road or I need to go down a country lane, which is much of my riding living in rural west wales.

The only conditions I have not used them in is in hot dry weather, roll on summer

• Like Like x 1