avon storm

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by bogg, Feb 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    I'm looking for a set of tyres that behave themselves in the wet p4s are out of my budget, anyone tried avon storms?

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Got them on my Trident and had one on the rear of my Daytona 955i CE along with a Viper front. These are not the latest incarnation of the Storm but they have proved to be grippy, good handling and long lasting - the rear tyre on the Trident has NO chicken strips!!:eek::p
    Well pleased with them, I be!:cool: And I think they will replace a punctured tyre foc if it has done less than 1000 miles:) (or at least they did!).

• Like Like x 1
  3. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    cheers Steve I've got battlax on the Kwaker but not over impressed in the wet,I think I might try the Avons

4. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I intend to stick with Avons when the time comes.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Used to run storm 2's a few years ago, liked them a lot. Get an extra couple of mm's of tread compared with other brands.

• Like Like x 1
  6. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Fitted them to the Bonnie and tried last weekend on a mixture of dry/damp/muddy and bumpy roads and found them very good less skittish and a marked improvement on the OE ones... recommended

• Like Like x 4
  7. old git

old git Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    As per John T above. Fitted the Avons today and straight away noticed a big improvement. Only had time to do a few miles but looking forward a longer run.

• Like Like x 2
  8. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    I am due a set of tyres within the next few months for my Bonnie EFI cast wheel.
    Currently on Metzelers which have been on from new to my knowledge.
    Which Avons would you reccomend ?
    Also it is so many years since I changed a motor cycle tyre, is it easy enough with the modern tyres and what do you do regards balancing ?

9. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Are you fitting them yourself with some spoons?
    Good luck with that, tried to fit enduro tyre the other week, gave up after 15 minutes fighting it.
    Rather pay the money, save my knuckles and the wheel. Plus they'll balance it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    You've probably answered the question of fitting then, best tool being the cheque book.
    I do have some proper tyre levers from way back, but I must admit it is a job I never particularly enjoyed.
    The other question was regarding which tyre model, reading the feedback on Avons I think they may be my tyre of choice for all year use, just need to know the best type for standard riding.

11. old git

Jul 4, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    I've only done a few miles on the Avon Storms and they were noticeably better than the standard Pirellis but it could be just that they're new. Time will tell how good I find them.
    Regarding tyre changing - my son and me did a lot of offroading and subsequently bought decent tyre levers (buzzeti), a mousse changer (a heavy duty bead breaker) and swore a lot. With decent levers and just as importantly the bead breaker and tyre lube it's a fairly straight forward process doing road bike tyres. Access to a decent compressor is helpful as the pathetic health and safety driven devices at garages don't have enough blast to seat a tubeless tyre at times. Regarding balancing, I use a static balancer on a paddock stand. Not as slick as the machines that bike shops may have but have never noticed an imbalance on any of my bikes. Most times I don't bother balancing the rear.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Thanks for the info old git.
    By the time I get to changing mine you should hopefully have done a few mles on yours so any further feedback would be appreciated.
    I must admit I think I will be better taking the wheels and have the tyres fitted and balanced.

13. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Picking up on a few previous posts it looks like a choice between the Avon Roadriders or Avon Storm.
    Thanks to everybody for the posts.

14. old git

Jul 4, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    I had a fairly decent run on the Avon Storms yesterday on the T120. Roads were a mix of wet and dry in places. There's definitely a massive improvement over the OE Pirelli's. I think the improvement is more than just the new tyre "feel good factor". I experienced a lot of "squirming around" of the rear end with the OE tyres that I was thinking was at least partially down to the limitations of the rear shocks, but it's completely disappeared since fitting the Avons. Braking has improved a lot as I found the ABS would cut in far too early with the Pirellis. Bike turns in superbly and handles uneven surfaces much better and the wet grip seems good though it wasn't raining. Time will tell if the performance drops off as they wear but so far I'm well impressed and would certainly recommend them as a better alternative to the Pirelli's.

• Like Like x 4
  15. STIFFLER

STIFFLER Senior Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Shropshire
    Any bike will feel better on brand new tyres!...for a while.

How long were the OE Pirelli`s (I'm not a Pirelli fan either)on the bike for? You could be judging 5 year old tyre technology against an up to date tyre.

IMHO To add my penny worth here....my mate has worked in a bike shop for the last 20+ years & of all the brands they fitted 90% of problems quality wise has been with Avons! To the extent that they will no longer fit them. I'm surprised to read this thread praising them so they must have raised their game. Tyres are thee most important part of your bike for confidence in your machine in all conditions. Paying an extra £50 quid for better safety & enjoyment is a no brainer! Yes I know sometimes that extra cash is needed elsewhere lol. I understand that choice also depends on who makes your bikes tyre size.

Bridgestone Battlax range or Michelins are the only ones ill fit to mine.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    What bike have you got Stiffler ?
    Which Bridgestone or Michelin size/type do you use ?
    I am due to change both tyres in a month or two on my Bonnie.

17. STIFFLER

STIFFLER Senior Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Shropshire
    Hi Mick, All 3 of mine(CBX Daytona 900 & 1000) have Battlax BT23`s. Cant fault em pootling round or doing 150mph. They transformed the 900 but when they are up for renewal I shall read the latest tests & decide from there. Ive read the latest BT24/5? is better or maybe ill stick with 23`s. Took the bike to Spa in monsoon ish weather & she behaved all the way. Riding with one very surprised Ducati 999 rider. He couldn't believe I could keep up with him in the twisties(yes I dare say he could have gone to another level lol but we were not hanging around). These tyres have been around 7ish years now so there must be better tyres out there!

Lets face it the bikes & the tyres performance capability is sooooo much more than we (Mr average not Rossi)are capable of usually. Some tyres don't suit certain bikes for sure. I just read what the nutters have road tested & if its good enough for them then I'm happy...so far lol. I go for grip not longevity!!!! My mates YPVS ended up trashed because of old cheap tyres!!

Whats your Bonnie..new or old?

• Like Like x 1
  18. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Hi Stifler, It's a 2012 EFI cast wheel currently with the original Metzelers on.
    After 30 years absence from biking, Im just nicely used to it now having covered about 6k miles over the last year.
    Used virtually everyday for commuting mainly on the motorway, but I love the country roads best.
    I need tyres for year round use giving reasonable mileage.
    Any advice gratefully received.

19. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

BT23's are a seriously old tech now.
    Try some of the modern sports rubber, it will blow your socks off. Keeping up with your mates is probably more a reflection on your abilities, than your tyre.
    Pirelli Angel GT, Michelin PR's, Avon Storm 3D, etc are much more advanced in materials and design.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Vladthetodge

Vladthetodge Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Sheffield
    My d600 (doris) had pirelli angel St set when I got her. Never had any confidence in the damp or wet conditions. Need a new front I dropped a full set of Avon storm St 2 ultras on. Difference was immediate. After putting a few hundred miles on to break them in I found more confidence leaning in the wet and pulling out of corners. Even span her up a couple of times and reacted predictable and easy to recover. In the dry they are sweet. I'm no shakey, but she leans over well with these boots on. Four thousand miles later and I've a smudge under 3mm on the front left. I commute 20 miles a day and out another fifty plus on day off. They're cheap enough too on eBay brand new.