Featured Avon Mk2 Road Rider Build 04/20

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Hobnail, Jul 11, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    New shoes for Virginia. Dumped the cracked and pre-historic Bridgestone rubber the previous owner fitted in perhaps 1940 with newly cast Avon RoadRider MKII. Picked up the Bonnie with storm clouds rampant over pastoral Iowa. The tech advised "careful on those new tires". Yeah, sure... Made a mad dash for home, against a western front with high winds, expecting a monsoon any moment. By God's will I entered the garage just as the first big splats of rain started crashing down. After 1.5 inches of water, it was over, but Virginia was snug in her berth.

The ride home was a bit slippery and apprehensive, but I think a lot of it was mental. Today, rode to work and then to a favorite beverage refreshment establishment, before returning home. No problems.

The Avons turn in clearly faster than the old 'stones and became confidence builders after a few miles. I tried to see how they react to lines and cuts parallel to travel (in the road) and was pleased tram-lining was minimal. The ride over bumps and road craters was better than expected and compliant.

I was happy to see the "Made in England" stamped in the sidewall, along with a build date of April 2020. Pre-Covid, it appears. Only about 50 miles on them now, but I will post more later.

IMG_7256.jpg

IMG_7257.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  2. pistonbroke

pistonbroke Senior Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Lancashire
    Thet're a great tyre and i'm a big fan. Even put some on my 78 honda 400/4 and they improved the handling massively.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    Wow, I made "Front Page" with an old post.
    Must be a slow day at the news desk. :D
    At any rate, they have many more miles now and wear marks all across the tyre face ( to about 1/4 inch at least). The ride is pleasant and compliant. Cornering is confidence inspiring, as I have been taking the turns in our work COVID queue faster each day... well until the security dude gave me the hairy eyeball. They have a tendency to tramline a bit on road grooves. Only limited wet road experience, so no comments on that. I enjoy the sidewall design with the modified Union Jack and it seems to fit the style of the Bonnie. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. DH88UK

DH88UK Member

Mar 8, 2019
    Hampshire
    I've got those tyres on my Bonnie too and they are great (and were the cheapest known brand i found).
    Did you have new inner tubes too?

I find that mine do lose pressure fairly quickly in the garage so make sure you check them regularly :cool:

Although April 2020 was mid-lockdown for us (started 16th march)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1