America Auxiliary Power Socket With Switched Live Through Relay

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by shady, May 30, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. shady

shady New Member

Mar 29, 2018
    glasgow
    HI guys

Please excuse my ignorance and lack of knowledge regarding an auxiliary plug as I now believe there could be a switched live feed on the bike (America 2013). I feel a total idiot now, DOH.

Now for my problem.

I wanted to wire an auxiliary power socket to my bike as I have done on previous bikes through a relay (30 Amp) and a switched live feed.
    I took a feed from behind the fuse box from the flasher circuit (10 A) (spliced into wire after fuse box) which went to the induction side of the relay, other side of induction went to neg terminal on battery. The feed to power the auxiliary socket went from the battery through a 10amp in line fuse to the switch side of relay and then to auxiliary socket (other side to neg terminal). All works great ignition off no power at auxiliary socket, ignition on auxiliary socket has power, relay clicking on, no problems. All other circuits on bike working fine (I wanted to upload a wiring diagram but could not figure out how to do this)

Now the catch, engine management light is now on, so I disconnected everything and set it back to the way it was but engine management light still on. This is driving me to distraction all connections were soldered and continuity checked at all stages. I am not an auto electrician but have a reasonable (or use to think I have) of electronics due to a previous career. feel so foolish as this has worked on previous bikes.

Can anyone offer any advice or help.

Thanks

Shady

Relay connections.
    85 - to neg terminal
    86 - to live switched feed, flasher circuit
    30 - 12 volts from battery through 10A in line fuse
    87 - 12 volts from relay to auxiliary socket

I used 17 amp wire.

2. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Can you get hold of a std ecu scanner to read the fault ? It may be something else entirely, which just happened just after you installed you auxiliary power socket !

• Like Like x 2
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

The engine management light is on because you’ve played with the electrical system :confused:
    Don’t worry about it :)
    It should go off after you’ve ran the bike three times :)
    Cold to hot three times :p
    If you’ve got an OBD reader you can plug it in and clear faults :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    As Dilly says start stop cycle 3 times will clear that.
    Or look at the likes of Tunecu if it supports your bike.
    Think there is also one called dealer tool irc.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Cold to hot to cold x3

• Like Like x 1
  6. shady

shady New Member

Mar 29, 2018
    glasgow
    Hi Thank you all, I will try the cold to hot tree times and let you know how I get on. Will start tonight after work.

Dilligaf you mentioned an OBD reader and Garry M a tunecu, as well as the captain recommending a ECU scanner. Would anyone know (in case cold to hot 3 times doesn't work) where I could purchase this? Also where is the diagnostics socket on bike that you would plug scanner into?

Thank you for your help and support much appreciated, hopefully in due course I can help somebody else out who is struggling.

Shady

7. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

You can get OBD readers off tinterweb or car discount shops :)
    Try amazon or eBay
    It plugs in underneath your seat :)
    Quite a large socket with nothing plugged into it and you should get the option to clear faults :p
    Easy peasy lemon squeezy :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Tuneecu is a down load from the site for laptop, or Google play on an Android, each has its own advantages. Android has a ABS bleed system. You need to by the hook up cables and when you do be particular about getting the right one (recommened by Tuneecu). The Android version is under a tenner and the laptop is free. Its not a toy and can adjust loads of settings for sensors and maps so you can f things up.
    That said you can loads maps to support upgrades and mods and also reset EMLs read errors and enhance systems.

• Like Like x 1
  9. shady

shady New Member

Mar 29, 2018
    glasgow
    HI Guys

Just a quick note to say thank you. I started the bike cold and let it warm up then let it cool down for a good 5 hours (may over did the cool down :joy:). Only had to do this twice and the engine management light off.

Thanks again for your knowledgeable advice, much appreciated.

Shady

• Like Like x 2
  10. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

You must have done it once already.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. shady

shady New Member

Mar 29, 2018
    glasgow
    Quite possibly when I was playing a round with the bike the night before but still excellent advice and knowledge.

Thanks

Shady