Automatic update of Windows 10 ?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Dougie D, May 20, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Anyone else had windows 10 automatically installed today? i have had the box coming up for several months asking me to upgrade for free,but I've always declined as I've heard a lot of bad reports about windows 10 ..I'm a bit worried to switch my work computer on tomorrow as I've heard Quickbooks the package i use for my business is not compatible with windows 10 ,anyone had any issues with this?

2. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I've not had it automatically installed - my new PC came with it so I had no choice!
    Not had any problems so far and if I'm honest, I quite like using it but I don't use Quickbooks so can't comment.

I did upgrade my laptop from Windows 7 to 10 and that seems to be fine as well.

3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    hmm I was looking at quickbooks for my accounts have win 10 on laptop but 7 on pc but want it on the lappy so will be interested to find that one out. the alternative is the online version

4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    just been on to them, the desktop version is not compatible for win 10 and no updates on when it will be either. online version works ok so maybe will have to try that

5. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i will give quickbooks a phone and see what they advise me to do,don't fancy paying more money to upgrade to a new version. Any idea how i can stop windows automatically updating when i switch my work computer on?

6. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Yes I had the same issue Dougie, was offering for months but kept ignoring, then left the laptop on for a while and left briefly to do something came back and busy loading itself, so I killed the power when I turned it back on it said reload of windows 10 would begin in 30 secs, so I went in to computer and disabled windows updates (dont really know how I actually done it I was in a panic ) again killed the power and left it alone for ages actually worried to turn it back on, when I did the next day it was ok windows 8 again !! but now keeps telling me to turn on important software updates waiting please turn on windows updates !!! i'm again ignoring it

So go in and disable windows updates, worked for me so far.

7. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    cheers Tez i will try that,I've just been on to quickbooks helpline and it seems only the 2016 version will work with windows 10 although he did say my 2014 version will work ..but there could be some problems!..it's about £250 to upgrade to the 2016 version :mad: so i don't want to do that if i can help it..hopefully i have enough time to turn windows update off..it doesn't seem right when you have paid for one operating system that they can just install a totally different one when they like,there must be loads of folk with all kinds of software which is now going to be useless if they have been upgraded to windows 10 without wanting to..seems we don't have a say in the matter :mad::mad:

8. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Even if Windows 10 automatically installs itself when you're not looking you should always be able to revert to the previous version of Windows.
    To access this, open the Start menu and select Settings. Click the “Update & security” icon and select “Recovery.” You should see a “Go back to Windows 7” or “Go back to Windows 8.1” option. Click the Get started button to get rid of your Windows 10 install and restore your previous Windows install.

9. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I've been told that with windows 10 you can't do that,but if it does install i will certainly try what you suggest and if it doesn't work i think i will be cheaper just buying an old computer and reinstall my 2014 version of quickbooks on that..it's just a PITA

10. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    I got 10 installed when it was issued after about 4 months. No problems so far - works with work and eBay and all other apps. Give it a try - many useful features.

11. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Wife just managed to stop her computer updating by disabling the automatic updates on Windows. If it had of updated several bits of older software including my Sage accounts for work would not have worked; forcing me onto buying an updated version.

12. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    just popped down to my work and managed to stop automatic updates ,that's a relief! :) although i now have windows 10 on my home computer I'm not too bothered about that though, I'll just have to get used to the different user interface if that's what you call it!o_O

• Like Like x 1
  13. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    i put windows 10 on mine and my lady's laptops. it worked ok but when I came to use the bluetooth function it wouldnt work. Our 3 yr old Toshiba laptops do not have a bluetooth update for windows 10 so I took it off both of them again. My partner didnt like it anyway, couldnt find anything.

14. Victor

Victor Active Member

Jul 26, 2015
    North Wales
    Not sure about Windows 10, but when Windows has has major updates in the past it has been possible to run some non functioning programs in compatability mode.

15. Tomo

Tomo Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Birmingham
    If you don't want Windows 10 forced on you, google 'never10' and go with the flow.....
    Its free, I've used it on both my desktop and laptop and can confirm that I've had no problems whatsoever since running it (several months ago). No annoying attempts by Bill Gates's mob to force me to change my OS. Oh, and it is reversible if you do want to succumb to their backdoor spying OS in the future!

16. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Glad you got it sorted Dougie, let me know what you think of it on your home puter

17. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Thanks Tomo just took advantage of your link to "never10" looks ok
    downloaded, thousands of bytes of windows 10 in 100's of files removed from my puter

18. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Tomo, thanks for the suggestion about "never10" - I've just done both of our 'pooters and worked like a dream.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    cheers Tomo, i will put the never 10 on my work computer,i take it i will be able to turn on automatic updates again ?
    Tez the windows 10 on my home computer seems to be running fine..for now!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    I hate Windows with a passion. I've used every version up to 9 (And MSDOS and CPM). I got so sick of the constant updates every time I switched it on, bugs and the crappy user interface that about a year ago I finally flipped and took my PC into the garage and dismantled it with a lump hammer. - TRUE

I am now the happy owner of an Apple iMac. Wished I had swapped years ago.