Featured Attilas Radical Ducati Project

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Attila, Nov 14, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Attila

Attila New Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Bristol
    A few people mentioned that they were interested in seeing my Ducati Café Racer Project, I know its not a mighty Triumph but it should be a fun thing when its finished.

I'm going to start by saying its not a Café Racer in the classic sense, its more of a modern re-imagining of a Café Racer.

The basic plan was to take this fun, comfortable and thoroughly sensible ST4 Sports Tourer
    [​IMG]

Strip it down to its frame, replace the forks with superbike ones, bung a S4R single sided swing arm on there, chop the tail off and fit a Radical Ducati seat unit to a 999 tank and Roberts your mothers brother. My inspiration was the Radical Ducati 9 1/2 race bike although I am building a road bike and using more recent components.
    [​IMG]
    With a 916 lump, a substantial weight reduction and modern sportsbike suspension and brakes it should be a real chuckle to ride.

I started by sourcing the main components, a 999 tank and the Radical Monjuich seat unit
    [​IMG]

A S4R Swingarm
    [​IMG]

along with 848 front brakes, 1098 forks, a 999R front wheel and a Hypermotard Evo rear wheel. (no pics of them, sorry)

then the strip down began!
    [​IMG]

Once I had most of the bike stripped I decided to mock up what the new seat and tank would look like to give me an idea of how much work the rear end will need.
    [​IMG]
    that's a basic idea of my plans for the rear subframe, its a fairly simple job too as its all straight bars and simple cuts.

The next job was to swap the Swingarm over, what a pig of a job that was! after snapping 3 sockets I managed to get the old swingarm off and have fitted the new one, along with the HM wheel, it looks so much better and the transmission lines up perfectly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am currently in the process of fitting the 1098 front end, as the fork diameter is different I have had a custom top yoke manufactured by Mark at MADASL racing. This is it before it went off for anodising.
    [​IMG]
    and it has now arrived back from the anodisers along with the bottom yoke and the 1098 clip on clamps too.
    [​IMG]

This weekends job is to get the front end back together so I can take it down to the fabricators for the rear end work.

I still have masses of work to do though, I have a teeny tiny LI Ion battery to try to hide somewhere, a 748 expansion bottle to fit, new lights and indicators to fabricate mounts for, the loom to modify and tuck away and an Acewell dash to try to wire in. All before taking it back apart to chop off any surplus frame mounts, smooth everything off nicely and send all the bits off for powdercoating and painting! Well at least it will keep me out of trouble...

If people are interested I will update this thread as I go, it's the first time I have ever attempted a bike project like this and I am learning loads and loving every minute of it :biggrin:

• Like Like x 6
  2. mr.h

mr.h Senior Member

May 29, 2013
    Lincolnshire
    Keep us posted - cracking thread - love it! :upyeah:

3. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Great thread, am in awe of your abilities with a spanner.

4. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    Good skills!
    Loving the project & looking forward to the next installment :upyeah:

5. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    #5 Screwball, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
    I like what your trying to achieve.. When it's done it's going to be a sweet looking bike...

6. Explorer

Explorer Member

May 31, 2013
    Great project, looking good, would love too do something like that.

7. Attila

Attila New Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Bristol
    Well I have finally managed to get a bit more done, today I fitted the custom top yoke, 1098 forks and the 999R front wheel.

Yokes on
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Forks and Clip ons fitted
    [​IMG]

And the 999R front wheel fitted
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The top yoke is brilliant quality and the fit is perfect, Mark at MADASL has done a fantastic job and I'm really happy with how its coming together.