Featured At least I fixed one issue....again....

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Jody, Feb 28, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jody

Jody Active Member

Oct 9, 2016
    Nuneaton
    Had an issue this morning where took my bike out the garage hit the starter and nothing.....

Dash lit up, fuel pump primed (after a short wait which was different)

Hit the starter, nothing, no click either...

Tried the usual, side stand up, down, kill switch off then on, ignition off then on, in gear out of gear.....nothing..

When I hit the starter the dash had a strange thing of the neutral light going off and the display on the left reloading itself ?

Worked fine when I put it away after work yesterday too.

Gave it the once over when back from work.
    Lifted the seat and TuneECU'd it for any error codes

P1685 Main Relay Circuit Malifunction came up....hmmm same one I had to resolder the wire on a couple of months ago

Lifted the relays up and the same wire had broken (kind of, you'll read why in a minute) off, lots of green sludge around the bottom of the relay connector block and in the pin

Then I noticed the little swimming pool under where the relays sit....

Root of the problem, where the little plastic cable cover above the rear wheel slots into the undertray, it leaves 3 lovely little gaps for all the water off the rear wheel go under the seat, run down to where the ECU sits and pool on the LH side under the relays when its on the side stand, water and electric did a good job of eating through the wire

Water cleared, wire resoldered, fault cleared, bike started....

And some weatherproof sealant applied in the undertray where the the little tabs slide in......

• Like Like x 10
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Jody

Jody Active Member

Oct 9, 2016
    Nuneaton
    I did think about that but knowing my luck water would suddenly start flowing uphill :D

I may do at the weekend as I'm taking the undertray off to clean all the grit out properly

• Like Like x 1
  3. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Well done buddy. I just recently washed my bike n I'm sure there is bound to be a swimming pool under there :eek:

DD...good idea about drilling a tiny hole :)

I better strip it out check it out.

Thanks buddy ;)

• Like Like x 3
  4. Jody

Jody Active Member

Oct 9, 2016
    Nuneaton
    My under tray before cleaning, its a bit cleaner around the slot holes as I removed the sealant to clean it and I will apply some more once refitted.

As you can see the water comes in where I have circled in red and heads straight for the ECU/Relays, but hits a raised lip, on mine this was leveled with sand/grit and gave free rein for the water to go where it wants.

I get a bit of water come through the round holes too so I shall fill those as well.

There is a drain hole where I have circled in Blue but mine was blocked. (The rectangular slot at the bottom is filled with the ECU retaining strap)

20170303_143340.jpg 20170303_143403.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    You been green laning? :D:D:D

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jody

Jody Active Member

Oct 9, 2016
    Nuneaton
    Ha ha ha

I'm a victim of riding all weathers all year mate....

You can see where the spray off the tyre goes directly onto the slots/holes.....

20170303_142138.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jody

Jody Active Member

Oct 9, 2016
    Nuneaton
    I found 2 more drain holes in the upper part where all the sand/grit collected...

Nice to know that they knew the water would get in but thought 2 drain holes was easier than fixing it....

8. Jody

Jody Active Member

Oct 9, 2016
    Nuneaton
    And the hits keep on coming.....

Building bike back up with cleaner undertray......spotted another wire hanging out of a different relay....

Fire up the soldering iron..

20170304_123642.jpg

9. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Not good :-(

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jody

Jody Active Member

Oct 9, 2016
    Nuneaton