Asgard bike garage?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by H.O., Sep 23, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Any one had an ASGARD bike storage garage, are they as good as they say they are, are they worth the money?
    Thinking of getting a store of some sort, dont seem to be many around now, like that one where you put the bike on a sledge and pushed into a container, only about 5' high and took up little space.
    Others now seem to be made from thin tin!
    Had 1 a few years back that was good, now made by MK with up-and-over door, but their site is so confusing trying to get a price!
    Need something for the winter, bike tent suffers from condensation, it's 4 years old and its on its last legs!

• Like Like x 1
  2. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Yep, condensation IS the main problem, Asgard has a roof ventilation system they say that works, just keep it clear of heavy snow to allow the circulation, only obstacle is the price, how they get a grand for a fucking tin box I don't know, it has atleast got a decent thickness steel, decent locking system and paint.
    Some of these others you could cut open with a can opener!

3. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    If you have the room buy a small garden shed and line it with insulation, very cheap and they all deliver and easy to assemble.

• Like Like x 1
  4. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Problems with sheds: Wood, cheap ones fall to bits even while erecting, nails or staples rust through quickly, planks buckle if ship-lap with heat, yes we do get some up here too!
    Tongue and groove far better but more expensive, so might as well buy 'tin'.
    Getting problems to get the depth too without the width, foot-print too big for the space, and door(s) in an end rather than a side, also as we intend to move in the next year or 2 wood ones are prone to not coming apart too easily with-out breaking.
    Also getting doors wide enough, most seem to be 2'7" wide!
    Tin, again as normal shed sizes same probs as wood, one that proports to be a bike shed was only 5' long!
    Others are very thin metal, 0.05-07mm thick, flimsy doors & hinges, no floor, and although they have 10yrs warranty I doubt if they would last 1/2 that long, and as I have no intention of giving up biking for a good few years yet I might as well get one to last, just spending a grand seems to be kicking the arse out of it a bit!
    The fact that the Asgard has insurance approval as a GARAGE helps too, although it would be many years if any discounts made up for the extra costs.
    Would make me feel better if some one had got one and could either reccommend or tell me to steer clear.

5. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
  6. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
  7. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Need the 10x6 as the Bonnie is 8' long with rack, sheds are out-side measurements, plus better roofing as winds rip the cheaper ones in no time, plus £50 delivery, comes out at nigh on £400, and its too big for the space.
    Looking longer term, x2 (£800) as I'd need another one when I move, so getting close to the steel Asgard, which, if I ever did give up biking I can get back quite a bit on selling it.
    The Asgard is 9x5, will fit neatly into the space I have too.

8. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Lol, talked yourself into that then :D and like you say movable and flogable.

• Like Like x 2
  9. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Just a thought ... a few years ago I was looking at buying a concrete sectional garage. In the end I didn't need one, but I'm sure I saw shed size garages on sale and not too expensive either.
    Could be worth investigating, but you do need a concrete base if memory serves.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Modalconfusion

Modalconfusion Active Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Stafford
    I built my own sheds, simply worked out what I would need, made the frames from 2x2 and clad them with tongue and groove treated boarding used that onduline roof sheeting and insulated job done whatever size you need. Just takes a little time oh and a table top saw to make life easy although I keep my baby in my heated brick and tile garage (moved the junk into the sheds) :D

• Like Like x 2
  11. SpeedM

SpeedM Member

Apr 30, 2013
    South Coast
    Friend of mine has an Asgard bike garage, had it for the 9 years I have known him and keeps his FJ1300 in there with Optimate, crash helmets etc. No problem with condensation, not cheap but secure and does the job, another similar option is sold by Trimetals; http://www.trimetals.co.uk/product/motorcycle-garage. I have a Trimetal shed for garden tools/cycles/junk and have no condensation problems - hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  12. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Cheers Speedm, my wife just ordered it while I walked my dogs, told me 5 weeks delivery!!!
    I phoned them, spoke to the same girl who ordered it, I said about the bad reviews especially concerning delivery times, she abruptly interrupted and said 'do you want to cancel then?'
    I was going to see if I could get on a cancelation, but did'nt get the chance!!
    Rudeness I will not tolerate, plus how can any company just turn away £1000 orders with-out conversation?
    Must have it too good, buy British and support our industry?
    Why bother!!

13. DreadySteve

DreadySteve Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Bournemouth
    Wicked man cave Jez :)

Do you spend a lot of time there away from mrs DD ??? The fact that you have all the man necessities in there!! Even down to the bog roll haha ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. DreadySteve

DreadySteve Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Bournemouth
    Again Ade, your eye test in long over due!!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::p

• Like Like x 1
  15. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Done a bit of research, seems I can order the same Asgard shed for same price from Screwfix minus shelf, hooks and wood flooring but get it delivered in 20 days!
    So it takes another 3 weeks to make a shelf 10 hooks and floor?
    What a con, they look after agents better than their own customers.
    Fuck 'em I'll go else-where.

• Like Like x 2
  16. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    No mate, 'fraid not, would have been nice, not even sure if I'm supposed to get this bloody shed, Screwfix sites been down since last night and still is!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    UPDATE:
    I put a complaint in to Asgard yesterday.
    Got an email from Asgard's Richard Hodson apologizing A, for the delivery delay, saying they have been so popular this year and especially in the lead to autumn/winter its caught them out!
    Some more blah blah stuff about being honest etc,etc.
    B, Apology for being cut off mid sentence and canceling order was 'borne out of enthusiasm to help more than rudeness' and apologized unreservedly, and invited me to re-order.
    I was staggered to be offered a cancellation so quick in mid sentence to be honest.
    I re-ordered on line this morning, still 5-6 weeks before it gets here, just hope the fucking bike don't get blown away before it gets here!!!
    Ironically they have a Flexiform office which is their main company in Livingston but cant order or pay through them, how daft!
    The Trimetals pent roof version would still take 4 weeks to get here, plus its dearer at £1007, AND they charge extra for delivery and another £75 for floor wood, plus its thinner, lighter metal and looks not to be so well made, oh, and if you want the security accreditation that even more because its a different shed!!!
    So, on the face of it Asgard looks to be the best bet, it might not be 30m long, have tv, radio, setee etc, but its a 10th of the price!;)
    We phoned them to ask something this morning, all sweetness and polite, I asked why it only takes 20 days for companies like screwfix, she said it was a long standing 'agents arrangement' and even they are struggling to keep to those dates too!
    If I had'nt of bought this I think I would probably of sold the bike as the damp got to it too much for my liking last winter in the 'tent', and wouldn't want that to happen again!
    I will keep you informed of the delivery/build when it happens.
    Terry

• Like Like x 1
  18. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I bet a ship from China takes less time to get here than it would take them to deliver...! :p:D

I hope you get it sorted soon, it will be worth it in the end having the security and weather protection.

• Like Like x 1
  19. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    #19 H.O., Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    That had crossed my mind, I bet there is a Chinese version out there some-where!
    Probably cost them the equivalent of threepence & 3 farthings to make and import!
    Made from our old Ford Cortina's & Austin Allagro''s recycled!
    O.K. 4 pennies then!:D

• Like Like x 1
  20. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Is that why you haven't got one?

• Like Like x 3