Thruxton Arrow Exhaust /mot

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by tappers, Apr 8, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tappers

tappers Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2015
    west sussex.UK
    #1 tappers, Apr 8, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    my 2015 thruxton is due it's 1st MOT soon,i'm running it with the arrow 2 into 2 with the baffle's out,i will obviously put them in 4 the MOT,as they are marked not for road use where do i stand,i've heard if you cover the NOT FOR ROAD USE with adhesive tin foil the examiner is not allowed to remove it, will it pass if i do so.

2. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    That's quite correct tappers. Tester is not allowed to " tamper "with the bike. I've heard just a sticking plaster over the wording would be good enough to hide it. I've never tested that theory though.

Another MOT option is to have it done at a Harley dealership. Never known them to fail a bike for excessive noise. That worked for me when I mislaid the baffle for a Zard exhaust on my old Tiger. They passed it without the baffle in.

3. jeznewsome

jeznewsome Active Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Preston, UK
    My understanding is that noise is a subjective subject in an MoT and not black and white with respect to the not for road use stamp. See section 2.6 in the link below:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-at-an-mot/motorcycle-parts-checked-at-an-mot

Find an MoT station that is sensible and they will not fail a bike for noise unless it really is too noisy.

My local station has only failed one of the many bikes that I have taken to them with 'Not for Road Use' systems on. To be fair to them the system really was too noisy and it prompted me to take it off for good as it was offensive!

4. youngy

youngy Active Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Peterborough
    noise is subjective. unless the exhaust is leaking a loud exhaust is an advisory at most, not a fail.

5. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Just put the baffle back in and take it too a Triumph dealer who do Mots, even the off road Arrow system is not that loud, certainly by Harley standards, dought they will look twice at it.