Featured Aren't Bonnies Wonderful

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by MartyWilson, Jul 24, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

Hi all, as the title says - Aren't these bikes just plain brilliant!

I received my first one just over a week ago, a 2001 790cc model with added Norman Hyde Toga exhausts and suitable carb jets installed. On Tuesday, she was joined by a Cream and Gold 2014 T100. I have ridden many bikes during the last thirty years but these are the first Bonnie's for me and boy it is like 'Coming Home'.
    I just feel more at home on these than on any bike I have ever ridden and, wrapped up in my replica RAF Irvin flying jacket, I have found the real me! I think I must be a re-incarnation of some late fifties/early sixties rocker! Heading off up the road I just suddenly realise that I am in my own little heaven and having a blast just existing on these machines.

• Like Like x 12
  2. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Good for you mate I can see you now riding those lanes in your gear

549eb600809ea07590b9705b5b4c0a2a-27829-512-341.jpg

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    "coming home" is a great way to put it. As I stated on another thread, riding my Bonnie takes me back to when I first started riding. It's nostalgic and great.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

It's funny, I remember as a kid my dad telling me about him and his mates with their Triumphs and the 'must-have' Military Surplus Irvin jackets, fur lined Air Crew boots(with the turned over tops for that white bit that folks always imitate with white socks) and white silk scarf. I don't think I'll go as far as the white scarf but I would love a pair of boots in the air crew style. I see you can buy replicas on Ebay but they ain't cheap and I would rather they had modern(ish) commando pattern soles. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW2-RAF-...098703?hash=item365482e60f:g:J2MAAOSwvApaDGXR

• Like Like x 1
  5. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    That's excellent, I'm really pleased you're enjoying your Bonnevilles so much :) and a little envious of the two beauties that you have ;)

I know how you feel, I love my Bonneville. Its pure enjoyment whether just cruising along experiencing and appreciating your surroundings, or when more spirited riding through twisties. Not as fast as many bikes, but just as much fun :D

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    These look like the same boots for £175 - https://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/raf-1936-pattern-leather-flying-boots.html

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

They do indeed @MadMrB although they only list up to a size 11 as available where I have size 12 plates of meat. :sob:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    Heavy is relative, DD. I almost dropped my Goldwing this morning after riding Bonnie for the last few days. As usual, my brain and body were slow to react to the difference.:D

• Like Like x 3
  9. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

#9 MartyWilson, Jul 24, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2020
    You know Jez, maybe it's the Norman Hyde Toga exhaust and carb jetting or something to do with the geometry of the bike (She is a different shape compared to my 2014 T100) but the 790cc actually feels livelier on the road than the fuel injected 865cc. I certainly don't feel that she is lacking in any way as you would believe from the MCN review of the 790's. The 865cc feels a little sedate and cruiser'ish. Perhaps this would change with different exhausts etc. but I think I like her the way she is and there is a deeper 'beat' from the stock exhausts compared to the growl of the 790cc.

I have to admit that there is another green and silver 2001 790cc (without the union jacks) for sale on fleabay at the moment with fifteen thou on the clocks, hard plastic panniers and screen for three and a half thousand notes that, if I had the money spare for another road bike (I'm plotting the acquisition of some form of off-roader), I would be sorely tempted to snap up. OK it's superbikefactory that are selling it but, from the photos, you can see the bike has had at least one loving owner.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

@MadMrB Looking more closely at those aircrew boots on fleabay and sofmilitary and, in particular reading the language of the text on the fleabay listing, I suspect that they aren't all they are cracked up to be. I think they are not of UK origin and may not be as good quality as they look.

11. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    I'm glad it's what you'd hoped.
    Yes they're great machines...and the engines have a v good reputation for longevity
    So thrash the hell out of it and keep the oil and filter clean.
    Meantime your other thread has got me seriously interested in an Enfield trials
    Oddly when I Whatsapped a friend with the same machines as I own, bizarrely he'd also been looking at these.
    But something would have to go.
    At present I'm having some medical issues which make my Tiger 955i a pain ( literally) to ride ..if I can't sort it it'll have to go and an Enfield trials might well be it's replacement.
    Meantime enjoy your 790.
    Such good machines.

• Like Like x 2
  12. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

Sorry @Alatamoc I think I may have given the bike a bit of a sales boost in general as they seem to be disappearing off fleabay quicker than they are coming on at the moment :)
    Was out on the 790 Bonnie tonight even though it was drizzling and orrible. I just had to put some miles on her.:)
    I can't deny that the Enfield trials keeps rattling around my brain too, it is a cutie and does inspire me to do some off-roading as there are miles and miles of forestry roads that start about 200 yards from my front doorstep that could give me some serious winter fun.

I did wonder about grabbing the 790 Bonnie for sale at Superbike factory and converting it to trials but I think that might be a bit nuts and probably work out costing more.

13. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    I know your corner of the world a bit.
    Though I've lived in Tunbridge Wells for decades( wife refuses to live in Scotland) I grew up in Dunbar.
    My father was a forestry Commission Civil servant and used to travel a lot around central Scotland.
    I come home when I can.
    I'd be back to live in a flash if I could and I know those sorts of forest trails.
    Peace and beauty at the same time
    Strangely my friend Clive ( born n bred in Tunbridge Wells) immediately suggested ..a couple of Enfield Trials and a John O Groats to Lands End potter.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    Agree wholeheartedly. Riding my 2006 just makes me smile. No hurry, no strain. Nothing to prove to anyone. I leave all my boy racer ego on the garage floor and just soak up the ambiance of understated style. I am still running all original pipes, but Mr. N. Hyde promised to send me a set of peashooters here soon. Shortage at the workshop, they say. That, combined with the bell intake should produce some lovely music and a bit more pep.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. philc1381

philc1381 Active Member

Jan 4, 2020
    North Notts uk
    Hi couldn’t agree more After 30 years on fast Japanese bikes I switched to a 2003 Bonneville and what a change, so much more enjoyable riding. Maybe it’s my age

• Like Like x 3