Are The Bonnies Ok For "little People" ?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Dougie D, Jun 7, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    My mate is a short arse and always has to get his bikes lowered and the seat modified so he can touch the ground,he loves his sports bikes, but i think he would be tempted with one of the Bonnevilles as he used to have one back in the day.i told him that when i sat on the Thruxton it seemed tiny and shoudn't be a problem for him,i think his inside leg is only 26" any suggestions on which model would fit him best?

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Dougie, suggest to your mate to look at the liquid-cooled Street Twin, I think it's the lowest in the range. It felt like a wedgy when I sat on it :p:p

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hippo-Drones

Hippo-Drones Noble Member

Mar 4, 2018
    West Sussex
    I know this is a Triumph forum, but get him to check out the Moto Guzzi V7 as that also is quite good for us short arses! :) (I have one)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    cheers, i'll have to drag him along to the Triumph dealers sometime so he can have a sit on some of them,if he was to give up the sports bikes i think it would only be for one of the Bonnies

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i think he is actually 5ft 6" but he has a long body and wee short legs..i remember his wife told me about the time he was in hospital and he was sitting in bed chatting to all the nurses and when he got up out of his bed the nurses were surprised how short he was as they thought he looked like some sort of an adonis when he was sitting up in his bedo_O

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    it cant be easy if your feet can't touch the ground:eek:,i've seen quite a few wee guys drop their bikes, especially if the grounds slopes slightly when they come to a stop

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    I’m 5”6 on a bonneville with cast wheels and both feet flat !

8. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    cool,at the moment he is on tippy toes and thats having his bikes lowered ,even if you have longer legs than him,i think the bonnie should be ok for him

9. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Get a '66 Bonneville, it's feckin tiny.!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    2B141B6F-FC9F-4310-BF94-85465B9CB33E.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 5
  11. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    thats probably what he had back in the day..don't think he wants to go back there though!

12. Hippo-Drones

Hippo-Drones Noble Member

Mar 4, 2018
    West Sussex
    In the past I have had to just man up, but parking is horrid if you can't get your feet down, and even worse if the ground is slippy. It is why I went for the LRH 765, I am not a good enough rider to notice any loss in handling ability and am pretty much at the edge of the tyres too so it certainly feels as nimble as I'd want it to be! :)
    It is all about confidence for me when parking and around town. I used to own a Husky SM510R and several KTM enduros and dealt with the high seat height, but it is so so so very nice to be able to get both feet down now! :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    I was at 3X the other day just having a look and they had a new 765R low, might be a better bet after a sports bike.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    No, B*Ws are ....Ask Ade :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Even with the enlightened views on height I don't see you being accepted by the Constabulary with your plates of meat!

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    5'6" - are you sure ????? :p:p

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    If by wee people he means "kiddies" anyone over 8 years old is "allowed to pillion" there are no height restrictions in Australia just age !

I have several grandies who can't wait till they are 8 !!

18. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Ooompa Loompa getting ready for the Welsh trip!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Love You Love You x 1
  19. Bonnie2014

Bonnie2014 Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Hi all, I have a 2014 cast wheel Bonnie , its deffo the lowest seat height of the air cooled ranges, and the newer models are not as low , having ridden the new Street twin and the T100 , the Street is lower out of the two, but if he wanted the T100 the Street Twin seats fit .... so gives a lower height, go to a Triumph dealer that has all on test and try them all and play around with the seats. I am 5ft1 and 26" inside leg and have always had problems with getting my feet down ! seems to be getting worse as I get older !!!! must be shrinking !

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Street Twin is the lowest of the current 'classic-looking' Bonnies, but the Bobber and Speedmaster are even lower.

The T100 has taller rear shocks that both the Street twin and T120 and might be a stretch for a short leg.

We've sold a few of the Street Triple R Low to customers who have short legs.