Are Bikes Cheaper In Winter

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by bob1, Nov 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    as per title are bikes really cheaper in the winter. I am looking at getting a second bike probably from a dealer the bikes they had for sell in the summer that haven't sold are still the same price now I think its a bit of a myth that there cheaper in the winter.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    In my opinion although they are still listed at the same price dealers are far more likely to drop the price if someone comes along who is interested and pushes them ;);)

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Yes Bob1 be prepared to haggle. And certain bikes like the rocket or the speed twin won't shift much in price as they will be the first to sell next spring. But yes you do get deals this time of year. Dealers won't lose out as the prices were inflated to start with.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 4
  4. JPB

JPB Senior Member
    Subscriber

Aug 22, 2017
    Somerset
    Hi Bob
    Total Triunph in Taunton are doing some great deals on some new bike stock and also some of there used stock. Give Craig a call or look on their website. Definitely some good deals out there.
    Good luck with the search

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

There’s wriggle room to negotiate on nearly everything. When I bought Tigger brand new I got £600 knocked off the price because I asked for it...

Don’t ask, you don’t get...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #6 Wire-Wheels, Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    I only buy used bikes. Two of my three current bikes I bought in winter. Early December is best, in my opinion. People are trying to scrape money together for the holiday season they really cannot afford. By December, they are ready to bargain. They sacrifice the bike in the garage they not riding for quick cash. I come equipped with my motorcycle trailer and cash. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    Youbwill get a better deal buying private. Just need to k ow what you are looking at. And haggle ony dkwnside is no garuntee if something goes wrong but on a newish bike that shouldnt be an issue

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yep I agree with the guys, buying at this time of year you will get a bargain, you just need to shop around...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    How about this, a new thruxton r for £10495, looks good to me.....

20191124_100527180_iOS.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Retail at something like £12,400 as a basic bike...

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Othen

Othen New Member

Nov 16, 2018
    Northants
    I certainly agree with Wire-Wheels, used bikes are far cheaper in the winter time, sometimes well under half what one would pay in the spring. The downsides are that one normally has to pay cash and collect; like Wire-Wheels I always turn up with a trailer and folding money.

In my experience the sight of a roll of twenties and the prospect of space appearing in the garage (often one's father's garage) imminently reduces the asking price drastically - sometimes by 50%.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    I once got a very very good deal in early January from a Welsh HD shop.
    " After, all" said the man in the shop" Who's buying Harley's in Swansea in January."
    Says it all...bring cash and leave smiling.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. roginoz

roginoz Member

Jul 30, 2019
    Wichita, KS
    Around here we tend to see some price reductions on "leftover" bikes from the current model year. I've found that you can also do fairly well on something brand new (my Speed Twin is a 2020 model) if they know you're serious. I told my local dealer that I was buying, and that it was just a question of where. He nearly matched the best price I'd found a couple hundred miles away; It was worth the few extra bucks to buy local. The fact that he didn't have to pay floorplan finance charges on the new bike may also have been a factor. He had cash in hand before Triumph USA billed him for the bike.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Giver of Drugs, Vaccines and Hard Truths

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    depends on the type of bike I think, chrome covered cruisers like the America have a noticeable drop during the winter months...… hence why I got my one last December.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    who's buying Harleys in Swansea at any time lol.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Harley? Tidy!

A1E50117-886C-4CBC-841D-BE79B90727D2.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Last year a dealer told mate and me ‘Not really price drop in winter, but we do have less choice in the showroom’.
    Ken.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    Show them the money.
    You'll get a deal.

• Agree Agree x 3