Touring App Data Uage

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by JD_Lincs, Apr 19, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JD_Lincs

JD_Lincs Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Here
    Can anyone tell me roughly how much data these route and map apps use in a month? I intend to use mostly Google Maps, but also just bought OSmAnd+ and will be using the downloadable versions of the OS maps I recently bought of the whole area around Lincolnshire.

I rarely use phone data - just over WiFi at home or if I can't find a specific location out and about - and then only for a few minutes. Now I want to use these apps all the time and need to buy a Data SIM package of the appropriate size and don't want to end up shelling out too much, as they are 2 year contracts. Yes, it will depend how much I use it, but a rough guess is better than no idea at all.

TiA

2. JD_Lincs

JD_Lincs Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Here
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    Google Maps offers the possibility to download maps of planned routes for offline usage. Then you can plan with WLAN and ride without any data plan only via GPS-function on your smartphone. But you must be carefull to stay in the downloaded area while riding! AND: The downloaded maps are only temporarily available and will dissapear! I personally am using Google Maps only as an additional app to the app SYGIC. This app provides offline maps from all over the world for a low onetime rate. Its functions are directly comparable to Google Maps.

• Useful Useful x 1