Anyone Using Tire Pressure Monitoring

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by SteveRS, Jun 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Has anyone installed tire pressure monitoring on the new speedy yet? It looks like a great feature and our bikes support it as well. I recently watched a YouTube video (650ib) where a new Ducati V4R had this feature and it was problematic with warnings popping up even though there was adequate air in the tires. I would like to install this at the next tire change, but not if it’s going to act like the Ducati’s.

2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Seems an expensive and pointless thing to me, especially if it’s going to be giving false information occasionally.
    The TPS on my car is a pain sometimes as it gives warnings when it shouldn’t. It’s just another gadget to go wrong.
    I check my tyre pressures frequently anyway :confused:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    They are $165 here in Canada, so not bad. Yup I check my pressures almost every ride, so probably not worth the investment.

4. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Nope!

5. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    I wouldn't Steve.
    A mate of mine with a Ford Focus has it. He went for a straightforward tyre change. Somehow the tyre machine damaged it. As a temporary fix a normal one was fitted cost £1 or so.
    Replacement arrived £32 I think it was :worried::rolleyes:

Garage is a friend so they paid it all.

6. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Yeah, so far not so positive.

7. Fitz Brundage

Fitz Brundage Member

May 11, 2018
    North Carolina
    I'm not interested in the Triumph TPMS but I have wondered if the Michelin Fit2Go system is any good. It seems simple and inexpensive; best of all it's independent of the bike's electronics. Unfortunately, it's not available in the States, otherwise I'd give it a try.

8. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Never heard of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    From what i understand, those monitors run off a non replaceable button battery. When the wheel is rolling the unit is active, so constant/daily use of the bike will use up the battery in months requiring a replacement unit
    If you don't use the bike frequently it may work as a check but they apparently aren't accurate and give off lots of false positives.
    I don't see them as a replacement for 30 seconds to check the pressure manually with an accurate guage

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Ah yes and accurate gauge, that reminds me that I need an accurate gauge :confused:. A stick gauge really isn’t my best bet is it.

11. Arno triple

Arno triple Senior Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    I had one in my last speedy, and will have it definitely again (it’s another ticked box on the option list for me :))
    Never had a false warning, or mismatching measurements with my own digital tyrepressure meter. Battery lastet at least 6600 km, till I totaled the bike... o_O. One downside is that you have to aware of the sensor when tire is changed. But when dealer switches the tires, he’ll know!

• Like Like x 1
  12. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Does it just show pressures or will it warn if there is a low pressure? Also, can you set any parameters or does it have a preset pressure that it goes by?

13. Arno triple

Arno triple Senior Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    It shows actual pressure, AND warns when pressure is to low. Never bothered looking for set-points, but think it’s about ten percent .... ish...

You can see the difference before riding and after warmup.

14. Daedeloth

Daedeloth New Member

Jun 3, 2019
    Belgium
    I have one fitted on my Speed and I would never install it again. I like to ride on lower psi for my back tyre, but there is no possibility to adjust the alarm thresholds.
    So I’m constantly distracted by the pressure alert showing on the dash.

Only solution is to disable the TPMS option entirely from the software.

I love the bike... but it’s testing my loyalty with these irritations.

I’m also a victim of the QuickShifter problem

15. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia