Anyone Used A Home ‘electro Plating Kit’ ?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Tigcraft, Dec 30, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Lots of manky fixtures and fittings on some of my bikes so I’m curious to use a home kit but are you just paying over the odds for shite you can by cheaper separate? Anyone used one?

2. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    I had one a few years ago but what a pain to set up buckets of chemicals an electrical source etc etc.
    The plating didn't go well either tried to strip the chrome from a BSA clutch arm and was left with just the chrome !!! no arm whoops had to buy a new one:confused::joy:.
    In summary do what you're good at earn the money buy the part:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    I would just replace with stainless fittings where possible, too much of a faf home plating, you also need to invest in a metal polisher to get a good finish...once you have managed to remove all the original plating.

4. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    I’ve all the metal working tools I’ll ever need so that’s why I asked about the kit. As for stainless fittings it’s bushes, spacers, brackets not bolts so back to the original plan... The parts I want to do are not in my face either so the finish can be a class 2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    And dependant on age a lot of parts are now NLA new. Which means a lot more people looking for the parts in good condition.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    In that case couldn't you just fabricate the spacers and brackets etc you need from stainless and then polish...that's what i normally do unless i am feeling lazy or they are just too complicated.

7. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    A good metal polisher is a damn sight cheaper than a lathe / mill / pillar drill & a set of decent drills for stainless plus the fabrication tools required.

Then the cost of the stainless needed to produce the parts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    I’m sticking on track

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Good luck then:)..i had a mate that had a plating shop cant say i would fancy it, hope your wife is forgiving...and get yourself a decent mask as the fumes are not pleasant.

10. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Don’t worry about me. I work with metals for a living. Sometimes the questions needs to stay on track as I have all the answers for the other stuff that’s why I don’t ask them. Sorry to sound abrupt but we’re all skilled in different ways and I know what I don’t need. And as for my wife.....?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    That's the ideal way, but it needs to be reasonably local to make it worth while. My nearest would be about 100 miles away, and some dont like doing s/h parts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    @half ton ‘Carefull’ is the word!! I’m similar and like original parts too, although I’m always interested how things are done and to what extent. Refinishing is one of those things and if I can do some small things ‘in house’ then I would rather do it than send it somewhere where it gets done half hearted because a job isn’t large enough. I do use a show winning premium plater but it’s a 4-6 months turnaround and I haven’t enough ‘good’ stuff to give them currently.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Michael Jennings

Michael Jennings Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2018
    Essex
    Hello,

I've used a zinc plating kit which worked pretty well, although it all depends on surface preparation - what you see is what you get! Removing chrome is really for the experts as it produces toxic waste, it can be done but is expensive (£90 to strip a four pipe exhaust system and it took a while). You need to mix the solutions carefully and control the ampage to prevent roughening the surface but it's quick once set up and saves postage etc.

Cheers, MikeJ

• Like Like x 3