Anyone Replaced The Front Sprockt On T120 W/c?

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by johnboy51, Mar 26, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. johnboy51

johnboy51 Member

Apr 2, 2019
    Rugby, UK
    I would like to check the front sprocket but despite refering to the Haynes manual I am perplexed how to remove the rear brake master cylinder. There are numerous screws/bolts but can't figure out which are relavent
    Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers JB

2. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    Try you tube

3. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    Found this one the internet if it’s of some help though I could not see exactly which bolts was removed.

• Like Like x 1
  4. johnboy51

johnboy51 Member

Apr 2, 2019
    Rugby, UK
    Ok, I've sussed out which bolts release the footrest assembly and I've bought a new 36 mm socket and having freed the tab washer I had a go at releasing the front sprocket nut.
    Would it shift? Would it hell.
    With the bike in top gear and the dear lady sat on the bike and the rear wheel chocked with a piece of 2 inch dowel, I applied the socket with about 18 inches of leverage but still no joy. I applied the heat gun for a few minutes still to no avail.
    I'm not the strongest guy in town and I know that it will need a fair bit of force to break the 180nm, but I am stumped.
    Any suggestions?

5. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Use a four foot long two inch diameter pipe over the 18 inch socket bar ! Be careful it doesn't damage your paint on the tank !!
    And shock it , lump hammer !! Foot on the brake pedal !!
    Used this method on 2009 Bonneville America , from 18 tooth to 17 tooth , much better acceleration when towing and two up touring !

• Like Like x 1
  6. johnboy51

johnboy51 Member

Apr 2, 2019
    Rugby, UK
    Thanks Capt,
    Unfortunately you have to move the rear brake master cylinder on the 2016 T120 to get access to the gearbox sprocket. Clever.
    However I will try a longer lever.
    JB