Anyone Owns Cardo Packtalk Bold Intercom

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by R_1000, Dec 3, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I am about to order the Cardo Packtalk Bold. This is going to be my 1st helmet intercom purchase. I always ride with headphones listening to music :rolleyes: (please don't flame me for it). The issue is after about half hour ride my ears will start hurting real bad. So decided to invest in a decent intercom system where I can listen to music, talk to me buddies who are thinking of investing in the same unit and be able have the option of answering calls. I will be installing this unit in my Shoei GT-Air and Shark Vancore lid. So far all the reviews I read has been positive.

If anyone owns it, could you give me some input on what the sound quality is like? And ofcourse how good is this unit?

Thanking you all kindly
    H

2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    How dare you ride with headphones and mute that beautiful Triumph triple engine sound

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Well that's the thing......no matter how loud you have your music on.....the tipple sound drones everything :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. just Mike

just Mike New Member

Sep 3, 2018
    USA
    I have the packtalk slim. It’s the only unit I’ve ever owned, so nothing to compare it to. Mounted in my Shoei RF-1200, which is the only helmet I’ve owned so nothing to compare it to. I just use it for music and nav, I ride alone and am generally antisocial. But it sounds pretty good (through my foam ear plugs, as strongly encouraged here), battery life is good, and the very low profile doesn’t add drag or wind noise. I believe the slim is essentially the same for sound and capabilities as the bold. The major difference is the slim isn’t easy to use with multiple helmets.

• Like Like x 1
  5. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Thank you for your input. I'm thinking of going for the bold because of ease of use with multiple helmets. I'm planning to purchase an additional base unit on its own for my other helmet which allows me to switch the main unit between helmet with ease.

I just hope the music quality is somewhat decent. I know I can't expect actual headphone quality.

6. just Mike

just Mike New Member

Sep 3, 2018
    USA
    It comes with 2 sets of speakers. I got the bigger ones, and the music quality is pretty good. Clearly not as good as good headphones. A lot of the reviews I read praised the Cardo as having better music quality than most. There was one system highly praised for music quality, but horrible at everything else.

7. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    #7 R_1000, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    Appreciate the feedback buddy. I'm happy as long as it is decent.

What speakers did you go for? I thought the standard packtalk bold comes with the 40mm speakers. Unless there is better upgraded speakers than the originals. As I'm purchasing mainly to listen to music, so I might as well go for the better speakers. Cheers

8. just Mike

just Mike New Member

Sep 3, 2018
    USA
    It comes with 2 pairs. I think 40 and 32mm. Same quality, just different size for different helmets.

• Like Like x 1
  9. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Brilliant. Thanks a million for helping me out. I shall go through with the purchase :).... Exciting :)

10. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    OK.... Finally I had the opportunity to use the Cardo Packtalk Bold. The unit is easy to operate with the gloved hand. The battery life is EXCELLENT. After a whole day of usage I still had 60% battery life. Voice control is great. I tried a call via voice control.... the connection and sound quality is good. The receiver confirmed they can hear me clearly. OK Google.... Works well with Android But most of you know the instructions needs to be precise otherwise it will do something stupid and annoying :D

My sisters name starts with T and I have the police emergency number under Tango (Don't ask :confused:
    ). So I gave instructions... OK Google and call my sister.... It started bloody dialing the police. I almost crashed when it said.... Calling Tango. I managed to scream all sorts of obscenities at the unit and it must have picked something and canceled the call. Lucky me otherwise I would have had to explain my stupidity :eek:. I have now named everything as they should ;)

The unit connects without any issues via BT to my Sony MP3 player for music. The music sound quality is great even with the earplugs as I'm using the 50mm speakers. Even at high speed I clearly hear the music. But you need to ensure the speakers are placed correctly directly to your ears. And a little bit of a faf to straighten the bend ears. I tried the phone GPS connection and the instructions were clear and precise. Infact I had reduce the volume by a lot as the sudden loud voice kept startling me :eek:. Tested it with TomTom Rider and it works perfectly with clear voice. So no more having to keep glancing at the screen.

I have purchased another base units and speakers for my other lid. So it's just a matter of clicking the main unit to the lid I'm using. The unit is very neat and sits flushly by the side of your lid.

So far I have used this with Shoie GT-Air and Shark Vancore and it performed very well. I still need to test it with my Bell M6. The Bell M6 doesn't have the cutout for the speakers. So I had to slide it beneath the material covering the form and left it sitting there snug.

Overall I'm very pleased with this unit :)

IMG_20181211_205325.jpg

IMG_20181211_205308.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  11. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    Nice write up, hows it going? Im thinking of getting the new one with jbl speakers..main thing is intercom..how does that perform and what speeds does it become difficult to hear? Thanks

12. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Hi thank you. I use it with ear plugs. The lid I use is GT Air
    Providing you place the speakers correctly you shouldn't have any problems hearing. I have used it on the motorway doing 70 and no issues there.

• Like Like x 1
  13. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Just the thought of your miss dialing and you screaming inside your helmet made me laugh H

14. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    Brilliant, same helmet I have. I use ear plugs too. Had a cheap intercom and anything above 50 couldn't hear a thing.