Anyone Made Their Own Octane Booster?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Tigcraft, Mar 1, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Just some thoughts, has anyone made their own concoction of octane booster as a lot of what’s in it is also in quality paint thinners?

2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Obviously got too much time on ya hands :p

3. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Now that’s what I call a burnout!

4. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Av Gas / unleaded mix till you get the required RON, used to run the pre 65 Tribsa on this also a hidden trigger nitros set up which worked well:)

5. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    I enjoy tinkering with my Scrambler, only to the extent of my talents. But, I am not a chemist. That is a scary thought!

6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    You could always go the Messerschmidt Me-163 route. That little rocket burned a methanol mix with hydrogen peroxide and sometimes the pilot......
    upload_2019-3-3_12-27-38.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    I’m not sure how RON is calculated in what ratio and it would be nice to know how it’s done.
    On another matter I work with paint thinners and back when I was an experimenting shifty apprentice a long time ago I use to ‘have some thinners away’ when the lights went out If you know where I’m coming from?! I used to run my bikes on it and occasionally drip feed an abundance into my Reliant Regal van too. It ran very well in all fairness but I was a little worried about melting any plastic internal floats in the carbs.
    So on another matter I’ve found from reading and smelling octane booster to contain toluene and xylene, acetone, and a few more which is basically the make up of higher end volatile thinners.
    So, my thought, there should be no harm in giving the ‘old tank’ a good glug now and again considering I used it full on many moons ago....

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Don’t quote me on it but I think Avgas is 110 RON and unleaded about 90 so in theory a mix to get to a 100 to 102 will give you a boost, some of the old boys ran pure Avgas I couldn’t I’m too tight :joy:
    As you I had “access” to tolene and often put a couple of gallons in my car, piece of shit car though and wouldn’t run any of my bikes on it o_O

• Like Like x 2
  9. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    FB_IMG_1566161208833.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2