America Anyone Have A Good Upgrade Idea ?

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Wire-Wheels, May 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I'm looking for an upgrade for the front caliper on my 2002 America. Any ideas ? ...J.D.

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Either Pretech 6-pot if you are staying single disc, or a pair of Honda CBR 600 calipers on Honda legs.

Either will stop 'er like never before.....................;

3. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #3 Wire-Wheels, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    The 6 pot setup sounds more like what I am looking for. Just a direct replacement for the original caliper. Going the Honda route sounds like re-inventing the wheel to me. I'll do some homework on this. Thanks...J.D.

NEXT DAY UPDATE: Wow ! Those are expensive ! Sure to be on my wishlist for a while.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #4 Wire-Wheels, Jun 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a Pretech caliper for the old America. It is currently on order. I'll post some pictures and tell you how well it works when it arrives.

The reasons I chose to go this route are, this caliper is compatible with the existing master cylinder, so I don't have the expense of a new master cylinder. The other issue was by keeping with the single disc up front as opposed to converting it to a Speedmaster dual disc arrangement is lower unsprung weight and lower conversion costs. The Pretech caliper IS expensive, but overall, I think it is the most cost effective way to go.
    ...J.D
    Pretech 6 Piston Caliper.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  5. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #5 Wire-Wheels, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    FINALLY got my Pretech front caliper. It was on back order for a long time. Then I had to wait for shipping from the other side of the world. TTP seems to have the best price on this. Got the bike.out on the street yesterday. The new brake is awesome ! Not only is there more stopping power, but the ability to modulate the brake lightly when setting the bike up in a corner is much better. Expensive, but worth it, for sure. ...J.D.

BTW: Thanks "TheBiglad" for the tip on this one.

• Like Like x 1