Success! - Anyone Have A Broken Speedo/tach Assy From A Water-cooled Twin?

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Sullivs, Apr 2, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sullivs

Sullivs Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2020
    Weldon Spring, Missouri, USA
    Does anyone have a damaged or broken speedo/tach assembly they want to part with cheap? I have a cracked speedo lens on my '17 Street Cup, which I want to repair. The front bezel assembly comes off, and the two clear plastic lens are sandwiched between the black plastic backing and the chrome front. However, they don't come apart past that. Either they are molded or glued together. The single button-head screw that's visible on top of it comes out, but it doesn't hold anything together.

I would like to destructively dis-assemble one to see how they are held together.

Thanks much,

• Like Like x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Sullivs.
    Can't help. But would love to see more pictures of that t160 you have as you avatar and hear some stories about it.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sullivs

Sullivs Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2020
    Weldon Spring, Missouri, USA
    I could not find a damaged unit to play with, but I was able to replace the cracked speedo lens on my '17 Street Cup. I never found a domed plastic replacement, but instead used a flat glass lens from a vintage instrument repair shop in Canada that was the exact size needed, 3.200 inches in diameter.

It was easier than I thought to dis-assemble the instrument cluster. I ground out the broken lens, and siliconed the glass one in place, and made a 0.30 in spacer from a black plastic sheet to keep the lens up as much as possible, and not interfere with the needle. I could have used a yellow spacer to match my tank.

After re-assembly, you could barely tell that one lens is flat and the other is domed. Only when you see a reflection from light sources.

I will give her a test ride today, now that it finally stopped raining, and see if it makes any difference to my old eyes!

Speedo Trim Rings.jpg Installing glass lens.jpg Plastic spacer.jpg Assembly2.jpg Flat vs Domed lens.jpg Finished product.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Sullvis
    Boy you did one smashing job there. Great to see these things done so others will have a go.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Good job well done mate :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1